Subfacility of Chesterfield County Historic Courthouse Complex
|Other Link||Chesterfield Historical Society|
About Magnolia Grange
Magnolia Grange House Museum is an elegant Federal period home built in 1822, named for the circle of magnolia trees that once graced its front lawns. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Magnolia Grange’s distinctive architectural features include elaborate ceiling motifs, a half-turn open carved stairway and hand-painted scenic wallpaper produced by Zuber, a French manufacturer. The formal ground floor rooms exhibit intricately carved mantels, doorways and window frames. Upstairs, the rooms have been furnished according to the era of each of the families who lived in the home.
Almost demolished to make room for a shopping mall, Magnolia Grange was preserved in 1984 when the county Board of Supervisors authorized its purchase for $180,000. The Chesterfield Historical Society pledged to raise $100,000 to furnish the home with appropriate antiques.
Today, Magnolia Grange House Museum interprets life at a 19th century Virginia country estate with tours conducted by trained docents. Popular events and programs include lectures, elegant teas, community festivals and a traditional Holiday Day Open House in December.
Magnolia Grange, located across from the Chesterfield Courthouse Complex, is listed as a Virginia Historic Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours are available. Magnolia Grange is operated by the Chesterfield Historical Society.
Architecture and Restoration
Noted for its distinctive architecture, Magnolia Grange contains elaborate ceiling medallions and sophisticated carving on mantels, doorways and window enframements. Careful paint restoration has been executed through wood graining and marbling. Scenic wallpaper by Zuber and carpeting of the period combine with authentic furnishings to return the house to the 1820's.