Commissioner of the Revenue
About Commissioner of the Revenue
The Commissioner of the Revenue serves the citizens of Chesterfield County.
As chief assessing officer, I am responsible for fairly and equitably applying the Code of Virginia and county ordinances to determine how much each citizen contributes to the county to pay for our public services.
My office is responsible for the administration of the following local taxes:
- Business property tax on the assets used in a business
- Other business taxes, including transient occupancy and short term rental tax
- Personal property tax on vehicles, mobile homes and boats
In addition we provide the following services:
- Administering tax relief programs for elderly and disabled citizens and veterans
- Assisting citizens in the preparation and filing of Virginia individual income tax returns
- Issuing business licenses (BPOL) to new and existing county businesses
- Monitoring legislation to be acted upon by the Virginia General Assembly that may affect our community
- Protecting the confidentiality of tax payer information
- Resolving problems and answering questions on local tax matters for taxpayers
We are committed to providing you with excellent customer service. You can expect:
- To be directed to a staff member within the appropriate department who can best serve your needs.
- To receive prompt, courteous and professional service by all of our staff members.
- To be served by a well-trained and knowledgeable staff who will clearly communicate complete and accurate information.
- Staff to make every effort to be helpful in resolving all tax issues in a fair and consistent manner within legal bounds.
- All personal information received by this office to be held in the strictest confidence under state law requirements.