Records Research Requests
- Permanent land and court records are available from 1749 (the year of the County’s inception) to the present. An automated index retrieval system is available for public use.
Title Searches - Recording Information
Clerk’s Office personnel are available to assist patrons in utilizing all resources in the Record Room.
- Recording information pertaining to land transactions, judgments, financing statements, etc. is not provided via telephone or email.
- Customers in need of this information must visit the office or request copies.
NOTE: Clerk’s Office personnel are prohibited by law from giving legal advice and are unable to perform title searches. Should you require a title search or legal advice, you are encouraged to contact an attorney or title insurance company, or both.
Obtaining Copies of Public Records from the Record Room
- Copies of public records are available for $.50/page.
- A certified copy is available for an additional $2.
NOTE: Copy fees must be collected in advance.
To confirm the length of a document, contact the Clerk’s Office at 804-748-1241 for assistance.
- The Clerk’s Office is open to the public from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- The Record Room is located on the ground floor of the main Courts Building.
- Call 804-748-1241 (8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday through Friday) and ask to speak to a staff member in the appropriate division for assistance.
- Phone requests are payable by Visa or MasterCard (for an additional $2.00 processing fee plus postage).
- After calling to obtain a copy fee quote, provide specific information (e.g., name, document type, date, etc.) with your request.
- Mail your written request with appropriate copy fees and a self-addressed stamped envelope to the below address.
Circuit Court Clerk’s Office
P.O. Box 125
Chesterfield, VA 23832-0909
For additional information, contact the Clerk’s Office at 804-748-1241 and ask to speak with a staff member in the Record Room.