My Chesterfield Academy
Chesterfield County, in partnership with the Asian & Latino Solidarity Alliance of Central Virginia, or ALSACV, presents My Chesterfield Academy, a program that empowers residents, particularly those from multicultural communities, to understand and navigate Chesterfield County’s government, as well as connect to other community resources. The program began in 2019 as the first of its kind in Virginia.
Preferred applicants are those who are already involved in their communities, have shown leadership abilities, and who are willing to disseminate the information they learn throughout their individual communities. After graduation, participants will be able to help their communities to better understand and access government services. Graduates also will have the opportunities to interact with residents from other communities through the My Chesterfield Academy alumni network.
- Meet with leaders from county and school departments and tour county facilities.
- Explore how their local government works.
- Learn how to resolve issues.
- Obtain information and resources.
In addition to meeting with local government leaders while learning about programs and services, participants will be encouraged to ask questions and provide feedback.
- Chesterfield County is committed to working with our national, state, and regional partners to take steps to safeguard our community due to the COVID-19, or coronavirus, outbreak. As a result, we are postponing the start of My Chesterfield Academy to this fall and further information regarding the dates will be posted this summer.
Sessions are scheduled in county and school facilities, among other sites across the county.
Upon competition of the academy, graduation will be held during a ceremony at a Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors meeting.
Hosted by the Chesterfield County Department of Citizen Information and Resources, My Chesterfield Academy will be funded entirely through corporate sponsorships and donations to ALSACV, which is a nonprofit 501(c)3.
While participation is free, participants are required to deposit a refundable $50 fee to cover meals and other expenses. This fee will be returned upon graduation. The costs include dinner for each session, notebooks, other supplies and recognition materials.
Application and Selection Process
Interested residents must submit an application for My Chesterfield Academy. Due to the delayed start for the 2020 academy, new application dates will be posted this summer.
For more information, email, or call 804-796-7085.