View all facilities
Fort Wead Park
About Fort Wead Park
Fort Wead Park is a 1-acre historical park located in Chester. The park includes a short unpaved trail. Parking is limited.
Fort Wead was constructed in June of 1864 and named after Colonel Frederick Wead of the 98th New York who was killed in action at Cold Harbor. The fort was built in the rear of the main Union defensive line to prevent Confederate forces from advancing in the event the main lines were captured.