Fort Stevens Park
About Fort Stevens Park
Fort Stevens Park is 2-acre historical park located in North Chesterfield. The park includes picnic areas and 0.1 miles of unpaved trail along the earthworks.
Fort Stevens was constructed in 1862 after the Seven Days Campaign, as part of the defenses of Richmond. The fort was the pivotal point for a Confederate counter-attack during the Second Battle of Drewry’s Bluff on May 16, 1864, where Confederates halted General Butler’s Army of the James in its advance toward Richmond. This was the largest battle of the Bermuda Hundred Campaign, involving over 35,000 troops.