How do I file a small claims lawsuit?

Unless appealed, typically small claims and matters concerning rental property are handled by the Chesterfield General District Court. The General District Court is completely separate from Circuit Court and has its own Clerk and Clerk’s Office. Visit the Chesterfield General District Court Clerk’s Office or Virginia Judicial System Court Self-Help for forms and additional resources concerning small claims lawsuits. Public service hours are 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

Show All Answers

1. How do I file for divorce?
2. How can I be appointed guardian and/or conservator for a family member?
3. How do I file a small claims lawsuit?
4. What Court handles landlord-tenant disputes?
5. Are Circuit Court civil case records available online?