How can I add my spouse or child to my deed?

As there are no forms by which to prepare a new deed that the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office can make available, it is recommended that you contact an attorney who handles real estate matters for assistance. There is no requirement to have an attorney prepare the document; however, to ensure it meets statutory requirements and meets your needs legally, it may be in your best interests to consult an attorney.  Clerk’s Office staff are unable to provide legal advice. Once the deed is executed, it would need to be recorded in the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office. If planning to present it for recordation personally, once you have the deed in hand, contact the Clerk’s Deed Recording Division at 804-748-1285 for specific guidance. Once recorded, the Real Estate Assessor would be notified of the recordation and that office would update its records accordingly.

Show All Answers

1. Are land records available online?
2. Can Clerk's Office staff assist with a title search?
3. How do I determine if there is a lien recorded against property?
4. How can I get a copy of my property plat or survey?
5. How can I add my spouse or child to my deed?
6. How do I remove someone from a deed?
7. Can the Clerk's Office provide a list of pending foreclosures?
8. How can I get a copy of the blueprints to my house?
9. When do I receive my Deed after my mortgage is paid off?
10. How can I monitor my home title to identify possible fraud?