The Auxiliary Police Unit is made up of volunteer police officers who assist in the delivery of police services to the community as stated in and authorized by §15.2-1731, Code of Virginia.
- Assist at public events
- Assist department members on calls for service
- Maintain security at crime scenes
- Patrol assigned areas in conjunction with department officers
- Provide logistical and personnel support for all police department units, as needed
- Be between 21 and 64 years of age.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Reside in Chesterfield County or:
- Reside in a county or city that borders Chesterfield County that does not have an established and active auxiliary police program
- Be a member of a civic organization in Chesterfield County
- Own or work for a business in Chesterfield County
- Have a high school diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED)
- Pass a written test
- Possess or be eligible for a Virginia driver's license
- Have binocular vision of 20/25 corrected
- Have no felony convictions and/or serious and habitual misdemeanors
- Have no conviction of, guilty or no contest plea to any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, including petit larceny, misdemeanor sex offense, or domestic assault
- Pass an extensive background investigation including a polygraph, psychological, and medical and drug screenings
- Be in compliance with the department's Police - Tattoo/Body Art Policy
Applicants will be eliminated for significant omissions or falsifications on any documents prepared in conjunction with the application process.
If you are interested in serving as an Auxiliary Police Officer, please contact the department’s volunteer coordinator by calling 804-318-8995 or by emailing the volunteer coordinator.