Request a Zoning Change

Rezoning is required when a property owner proposes to use his or her land for purposes other than permitted by the current zoning classification.

Conditional uses are required in instances where certain land uses are not permitted outright because of their unique characteristics. The Zoning Ordinance outlines those specific uses that are allowed through the Conditional Use process. The requests are reviewed for recommendation by the Planning Department staff and Planning Commission with final determination by the Board of Supervisors.

Request Process

  1. Schedule a meeting with a staff member. This may be done by contacting Planning. Have the following information:
    • Address of property in question and/or current property owner's name
    • GIS map number of property
    • Proposed use of the property
    • Plans (when requesting a Conditional Use)
  2. When the specific request is determined, a formal application is submitted to the Planning Department which includes the following:
    • A legal description of the property, acreage and a list of adjacent property owners (obtained from Planning)
    • Completed application form
    • Preliminary plans, plats and tax maps of the property
    • Filing fee (amount determined by nature of request and acreage)
    • After a staff member has reviewed the application for accuracy, a date will be scheduled for public hearing by the Planning Commission
  3. Before the case is heard by the Planning Commission, staff reviews the application in conjunction with various other county and state agencies. Planning staff prepares an analysis and recommendation. A sign is placed on the property to notify interested parties that a zoning proposal is pending. Anyone interested in a particular request may call 751-4700 and enter the three digits shown on the sign or the last three digits of the case number appearing on the public notice. Public notice concerning the request, as well as the time, date and place of the Planning Commission meeting, is sent to adjacent property owners and advertised in local newspapers.
  4. At the Planning Commission hearing, the Planning Department staff will present the case. The property owner or his agent, who must be present at the meeting, can explain plans for the property including a description of its proposed use. Additional maps, plats and architectural renderings may be used in this explanation. Area property owners and other interested parties present are allowed to speak. Following discussion of the case, the Planning Commission will decide upon a recommendation to the Board of Supervisors. The Commission may recommend approval as submitted, approval subject to certain conditions, denial of the application, or they may defer the request to a future Commission meeting.
  5. After Planning Commission action, rezoning and Conditional Use requests are considered by the Board of Supervisors. A public hearing is scheduled with notification advertised in local papers. Public notice will again be sent to adjacent property owners. The property owner or his agent must be present at the public hearing.

After all discussions, the Board will move for final action on the request. The request may be approved as submitted, approved with conditions, denied, or deferred to a later meeting. If the request is approved, the property owner may proceed with development plans, taking into consideration any supplementary conditions which may have been imposed by the Board.