To fully support and foster Chesterfield County’s efforts to be an extraordinary and innovative community in which to live, work and play.
Enhance public safety by providing a safe court environment, service of legal documents and comprehensive care of offenders through professional and unbiased performance.
- Enhance the safety of the community.
- Enhance the support and respect of citizens by serving with pride, professionalism and integrity and by treating everyone fairly and equally regardless of:
- National origin
- Sexual preference
- Maintain a qualified, diverse and professional workforce that is our most valuable resource in accomplishing our mission.
- Promote and maintain an innovative and efficient organization.
- To serve as the benchmark for all that is right in public service.
The Chesterfield County Sheriff's Office is among an elite group of law enforcement agencies having earned accreditation by the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission. Of the more than 360 law enforcement agencies in Virginia, the Sheriff's Office is among only 82 having earned the distinction.
Chesterfield County was also the third Virginia jurisdiction where both the Police Department and Sheriff's Office were accredited. Chesterfield shares this distinction with eleven other localities. Accreditation is considered perhaps the best measure of professionalism among law enforcement agencies.
Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission
The Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission consists of representatives of the Virginia Sheriff's Association, Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police and the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services. It has established 215 professional standards by which law enforcement agencies are measured. In providing the accreditation program, the commission's goals are:
- To increase the effectiveness and efficiency of services provided by law enforcement agencies
- To promote cooperation among agencies
- To ensure proper training for law enforcement personnel
- To promote public confidence in law enforcement
Accreditation sets the standards by which an agency must continue to operate in order to achieve re-accreditation. These professional standards must become a routine way of conducting business in the Chesterfield County Sheriff's Office. There are on-going reviews, with re-accreditation occurring every four years.
For more information contact 804-768-7461.
We are committed to providing you with excellent customer service. When dealing with our department, you can expect:
- A professional and courteous staff.
- You will be addressed in a polite, courteous, and professional manner.
- Your call will be answered within three rings, and telephone transfers will be limited to one per call.
- You will receive a response to your request within 24 hours.
- You will be assisted by a knowledgeable employee who will provide you with accurate information.
- We will meet or exceed the state mandated time frame for service of civil process.
- 100% of civil process will be served within the state mandated time frame.
- We will provide for the safe and secure detention of those in the Sheriff's custody.
- Violent incidents will be minimized through careful monitoring of inmates.
- We will maintain 100% compliance with Virginia Department of Corrections life, health, and safety standards.
- We will obtain 100% compliance on DOC inspections. Deficiencies will be addressed within 24 hours.
- We will provide a safe environment for court proceedings.
- The possibility of violent incidents will be minimized through the use of proactive security procedures.
- Opportunities for the treatment and rehabilitation of inmates will be provided.
- The Sheriff's Office will provide quality medical care for inmates.
- The Sheriff's Office will support substance abuse prevention programs.
- The Sheriff's Office will provide job training for inmates through the inmate workforce program.
- The Sheriff's Office will provide alternative incarceration programs for inmates meeting certain criteria.
- The Sheriff's Office is committed to work release, work weekender, and home incarceration programs.
- Our employees will positively impact citizens' lives with service programs.
- The Sheriff's Office will be a leader among county agencies in providing community service programs such as Seniors In Touch, TRIAD, Play It Safe, and Inmate Outreach.
Compliments, Concerns, or Complaints
If you have any compliments, concerns, or complaints, please provide them to:
Karl S. Leonard, Sheriff
P.O. Box 940
Chesterfield, Virginia 23832