Adult Protective Services
The Adult Services team provides a variety of supportive services designed to empower our customers to achieve their full potential. Medicaid is a resource to assist with nursing home and community-based care costs.
Adult Protective Services provides investigative services to:
- Individuals age 60 and older
- Incapacitated persons age 18 and older who:
- Alleged to be abused, neglected, or exploited
- Are at risk
Adult Protective Services Line
Please call 804-748-1100 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and select option 5 for Adult Protective Services. After hours, or on weekends or holidays, please call the Virginia Department of Social Services State Hotline at 888-832-3858.
Please note that reports may be made anonymously.
Examples of abuse, neglect, and exploitation include but are not limited to:
- An adult who is physically restrained as a means of punishment or for the convenience of the caregiver
- The caregiver or person responsible for managing the adult's finances uses the money for his or her own purposes without the consent of the adult
- A caretaker who refuses to or fails to take the adult to a medical appointment
- Causing intentional pain or injury
- Emotional abuse such as yelling, belittling, or threatening bodily harm
- Sexual abuse, which includes any form of sexual contact (intercourse, exposing body parts, touching, etc.) without consent
- Withholding or failing to provide medication, food, or water
Suspected Abuse, Neglect, or Exploitation
If you suspect that an elderly or disabled adult is being abused, neglected, or exploited, call 804-748-1100 and select option 5 for Adult Protective Services.
The purpose of the guardianship and / or conservatorship is to protect the incapacitated person or his or her assets from abuse, neglect, or exploitation. These services are for a person who lacks the capacity to make decisions concerning his or her health and well-being.