Billing and Collection of Personal Property and Real Estate Taxes
The Treasurer’s Office is responsible for the billing and collection of personal property and real estate taxes. Because our office acts as the county’s banker, all payments, including credit card payments, go through the Treasurer's Office. Among other additional duties, the Treasurer is Chesterfield County’s investment officer and statutory supervisor of unclaimed property.
Treasurer's Citizen Portal
Pay Online 24 Hours a Day
Online tax payments can be made 24 hours a day in the Citizen Portal, which allows taxpayers to gather all personal property and real estate tax accounts under a single user account and then pay multiple accounts in one transaction. Visit the Pay Your Taxes page to learn more.
Tax Remittances and Tax Payments Address
All Payments to Chesterfield P.O. Box 70
To avoid delays in processing tax payments, please mail payments and update online banking mailing addresses to:
Chesterfield County Treasurer's Office
P.O. Box 70
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Effective Jan. 1, 2021, property tax payment processing is completed locally using the Treasurer's internal lockbox. The former address in Charlotte, NC is no longer valid and payments processed online or mailed to the invalid North Carolina address will be returned to the sender by the post office. Please check all remittance envelopes to ensure they have the correct Chesterfield P.O. Box 70 address.
Important Tax Deadlines
Failure to receive a bill does not relieve you of additional charges that accrue for failure to pay by the due date. If you have not received a bill at least two weeks in advance of the deadlines listed, please call 804-748-1201 to request a copy of your bill.
|Fourth Quarter State Estimated Tax Payment Due from Prior Year
|Purchasing Current Dog License
|Filing Personal Property Status Changes; Business License Renewal
|Filing Renewals for Real Estate Tax Exemption
(First Time Filer May Apply Any Time)
|First Quarter State Estimated Income Tax Due
|Personal Property Tax and First Half Real Estate Tax Due
|Second Quarter State Estimated Income Tax Due
|Third Quarter State Estimated Income Tax Due
|Second Half Real Estate Tax Due
|Final Payment Date for Delinquent State Income Taxes
Monthly Investment Report
The monthly investment report (PDF) is presented in accordance with the Treasurer’s Investment Policy. The objective of the policy is to obtain the highest possible yield on available financial assets, consistent with constraints imposed by safety objectives, cash flow considerations and the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia that restrict the placement of public funds. All investments held are in compliance with this policy.
Duties of the Treasurer
We appreciate the opportunity to serve you. Our pledge is to continually seek ways to provide innovative, progressive service to our county residents. Duties of the Treasurer include:
- Banker for Chesterfield County government working with departments and public for receiving and disbursing funds.
- Billing and collection of current and delinquent personal property and real estate taxes, as well as all delinquent debt owed to Chesterfield County.
- Chief Investment Officer for Chesterfield County funds working with external brokers and banking community for highest and safest investment returns, and proposes and oversees the Chesterfield County Investment Policy, in compliance with the Security for Public Funds Investment Act of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Contract Administrator for Chesterfield County bank depository, including negotiating of contract and management of all facets of banking services for Chesterfield County.
- Reconciliation agent for Chesterfield County, working with depository bank, county departments and external and internal auditors.
- Registrar on all Chesterfield County bonded indebtedness, including payment of debt, and administrator of arbitrage rebate; while working with various Chesterfield County departments and bond counsel to help ensure ongoing triple A ratings for Chesterfield County.
- Statutory supervisor of Unclaimed Property for Chesterfield County.
Rebecca R. Longnaker, CPA, MGT