Sunroom Project Checklist
These requirements pertain to sunrooms built on a post/pier foundation.
- Building permit
- Auxiliary permits: One or more of the permit types listed below depending on the scope of work being performed:
- Electrical permit
- Plumbing permit
- Gas permit
- Mechanical permit
Application Submittal Requirements
- 1 copy of Client Registration Form (PDF) - if the contractor has never performed work in Chesterfield County before.
- 1 copy of the Residential Building Permit Application (PDF).
- 1 copy of the plot plan showing setbacks from existing and proposed improvements - except for exclusively interior work. Acceptable plot plans contain the following:
- Entire property, showing all property line dimensions
- Existing dwelling, any other existing structures and location of proposed structure (all dimensions of proposed structure must be clearly indicated. For proposed accessory structures, indicate the overall height).
- Setbacks from the closest point of the proposed structure to property lines in each direction. Label the measurements from each property line to the closest point on the structure. Be as exact as possible and label the name of road clearly.
- 2 copies of the construction plans - One set will be returned to the applicant with the issued permit. (For more detail on exactly what the construction plans require, see Construction Plan Requirements listed below.)
- 2 copies of the engineered soil reports - Required to be prepared by a soil scientist or geotechnical engineer. A soils report is required for construction of any potentially habitable space (e.g. sunrooms) where the property is deemed to be in the Triassic Basin, that area of the county with an increased potential of "shrink-swell" soil. For more information see the Requirements for Soil Reports and Footings (PDF).
- 1 copy of the Residential Plans Review Delivery Form (PDF) - Required for all building permits, this form indicates whether you would like the permit and forms mailed to you or held for three days at the Building Inspection office for you to pick up.
- Payment of permit and other related fees - Residential Fee Schedule (PDF). Cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express cards are accepted.
Construction Plan Requirements: Minimum of Two Copies
- First floor and first floor framing plan
- A footing and foundation plan
- Roof and roof framing plan
- Structural cross section(s)
- Sunrooms built on a post/pier foundation must be designed and sealed by a Virginia registered design professional, such as an engineer or architect, for compliance with section 602.10.6 (wall bracing) of the 2009 Virginia Residential Construction code
Plan Detail Requirements
General Requirements for all Construction Drawings:
- Numbered - Every sheet of the plans numbered
- Scale - Structural plans drawn to architectural scale, typically 1/4 inches, 3/16 inches or 1/8 inches
- Legible - Neat and legible; void of handwritten notes
- Orientation - All drawings in the same orientation on the sheets