- Community Development
- Building Inspection
- Residential Construction
- Residential Project and Plan Requirements
- Sunroom & Florida Room Projects
Sunroom & Florida Room Projects
These requirements pertain to sunrooms built on a post/pier foundation.
- Building permit
- Auxiliary permits- One or more of the following permits depending on the scope of work:
Application Submission Requirements
- Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Plot plan showing setbacks from existing and proposed improvements except for exclusively interior work. Acceptable plot plans contain the following:
- Entire property, showing all property line dimensions
- Existing dwelling, any other existing structures and the proposed structure location clearly indicate all proposed structure dimensions). For proposed accessory structures, indicate the overall height.
- Setbacks from the closest point of the proposed structure to property lines in each direction. Label the measurements from each property line to the closest point on the structure. Be as exact as possible and clearly label the road name.
- Construction plans (two or more copies) - We'll return one copy to you with the issued permit.
- Engineered soil reports (two copies) - Required to be prepared by a soil scientist or geotechnical engineer. A soils report is required for construction of any potentially habitable space (e.g. sunrooms) where the property is deemed to be in the Triassic Basin (the area of the county with an increased potential of "shrink-swell" soil). For more information see the Requirements for Soil Reports and Footings (PDF).
- Residential Plans Review Delivery Form (PDF) - Indicates whether you want the permit and forms mailed to you or held for three days at the Building Inspection office for you to pick up.
- Permit and other related fee payments
- Download the Residential Fee Schedule (PDF).
- Accepted payment methods
- Credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa)
Construction Plan Requirements (two or more copies)
- First floor and first floor framing plan
- A footing and foundation plan
- Roof and roof framing plan
- Structural cross section(s)
- Sunrooms built on a post/pier foundation must be designed and sealed by a Virginia registered design professional, such as an engineer or architect, for compliance with section 602.10.6 (wall bracing) of the 2009 Virginia Residential Construction code.
Plan Detail Requirements
General Requirements for all Construction Drawings
- Numbered - Number each plan sheet.
- Scale - Draw structural plans to architectural scale (typically 1/4 inches, 3/16 inches or 1/8 inches).
- Legible - Make sure the plans are neat and legible (no handwritten notes).
- Orientation - Lay out all drawings in the same orientation (portrait or landscape).