June 2022 Primary Elections
Chesterfield County will not conduct primary elections. The congressional candidates are unopposed in their district. View the list of qualified candidates for the June 21, 2022, primary elections.
Absentee voting begins 45 days prior to the election.
Absentee and Early Voting
Applying to Vote Absentee by Mail
- For assistance, reference the Step-by Step Guide (PDF)
- Submit a Virginia Absentee Ballot Application Form
Ballots will not be mailed until 45 days before each election.
Virginia Permanent Absentee Voter Single Election Change Form (PDF): This form is only for those who have selected the Permanent Absentee Option on the Virginia Absentee Ballot Application Form. Use this form to change where your ballot is sent for one election, change the political party primary ballot you receive for one election, or change the political party primary ballot you receive for all primary elections.
Request to cancel an Absentee Ballot Application (PDF): This form is if you submitted the application in error or you have changed your mind to vote by mail and want to vote in person.
For Our Military and Overseas
Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) for voting assistance for Uniformed Service members, their families and citizens residing outside the U.S.
- Please be sure to answer every question and sign the application.
- Return the completed application before the application deadline (11 days preceding the election by 5 p.m.).
- After the Registrar’s Office receives the application and processes it, a ballot will be mailed to the mailing address provided on the application no more than 45 days before the election.
Voting the Vote by Mail Ballot
Upon receiving the ballot, carefully review the Instructions for Voting an Absentee Ballot (PDF).
Witness Required: According to Virginia Code § 24.2-707, a witness is required to be present when marking a vote by mail ballot and the witness is required to sign the Statement of Voter on the Ballot Envelope B.
Return the ballot to the Registrar's Office by 7 p.m. the day of the election by:
- Mail (USPS) - Track your absentee ballot online.
- Commercial Delivery Service (DHL, Federal Express, UPS)
- In-person/Ballot Dropbox (No need to wait in line to drop your ballot in the designated drop box)
- Registrar's Office (9848 Lori Rd, Chesterfield, VA 23832)
- Satellite locations (General Elections only at this time)
- Your Precinct
Contact the General Registrar’s Office with any questions by calling 804-748-1471.