Finished Attic & Basement Projects
For additional information, download the requirements for building a house or addition pamphlet (PDF).
- Building permit
- Auxiliary permits - One or more of the following permits depending on the scope of work:
Application Submission Requirements
- Client Registration Form (PDF) - Required if a contractor who has never performed work in Chesterfield County before is applying for the permit.
- Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Residential Plans Review Delivery Form (PDF) - Indicates whether you want the permit and forms mailed to you or held for three days at the Building Inspection office for you to pick up.
- Construction plans (two or more copies) - We'll return one copy to you with the issued permit.
- Permit and other related fee payments
- Download the Residential Fee Schedule (PDF).
- Accepted payment methods
- Credit card (American Express, Discover MasterCard, Visa)
- A cross-section showing all new and existing framing materials, insulation and ceiling heights
- Plan(s) showing all new walls, framing, fixtures and room uses
- Plan(s) showing the existing space
Plan Detail Requirements
General Requirements for all Construction Drawings
- Numbered - Number each plan sheet.
- Scale - Draw structural plans to architectural scale (typically 1/4 inches, 3/16 inches or 1/8 inches).
- Legible - Make sure the plans are neat and legible (no handwritten notes).
- Orientation - Lay out all drawings in the same orientation (portrait or landscape)
Do not submit mechanical, electrical or plumbing (MEP) drawings. Plan reviewers do not review these for residential plans. The field inspectors check for those issues.
Do not submit cabinetry, stair or non-structural details. They are not reviewed.
Floor plan & cross-section
- Perimeter and interior dimensions
- Room names on each floor plan
- Size and location of all doors and windows
- All interior load-bearing walls identified
- Size and direction of all floor joists and ceiling joists
- For I-joists or open-web joists, provide the manufacturer's layout plan.
- Identification on plans similar to:
- Nominal lumber: 2 by 8 SYP at 16 inches on center (o.c.)
- I-joists: Truss Joist, Series 230, 11 feet 7/8 inches, 16 inches o.c.
- Any space intended for "future" use marked accordingly
- At least one "through-structure" section, cut from the front to the rear of the structure, in a location that will show any non-standard section, such as a two-story family room or a room with a vaulted ceiling
- If there are multiple complicated spaces, separate sections to show the entire structure.
- Section cut lines (arrows) referenced on the plan views