A Building permit required if the fence is 6 feet tall or taller, or if the fence is serving as a pool barrier.
Application Submittal Requirements
- 1 copy of Client Registration Form (PDF) - if the permit is being applied for by a contractor who has never performed work in Chesterfield County before
- 1 copy of the Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- 1 copy of the plot plan showing setbacks from existing and proposed improvements. Acceptable plot plans contain the following:
- Entire property, showing all property line dimensions
- Existing dwelling, any other existing structures and location of proposed structure (all dimensions of proposed structure clearly indicated). For proposed accessory structures, indicate the overall height.
- Setbacks from the closest point of the proposed structure to property lines in each direction. Label the measurements from each property line to the closest point on the structure. Be as exact as possible and label the name of road clearly.
- 2 copies of the construction plans - One set will be returned to the applicant with the issued permit. (For more detail on exactly what the construction plans require, see Construction Plan Requirements listed below.)
- 1 copy of the Residential Plans Review Delivery Form (PDF) - Indicates whether you would like the permit and forms mailed to you or held for three days at the Building Inspection office for you to pick up
- Payment of permit and other related fees - Residential Fee Schedule (PDF). Cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express cards are accepted.
Construction Plan Requirements: Minimum of Two Copies
- General Requirements for all Construction Drawings:
- Numbered - Every sheet of the plans numbered
- Scale - Structural plans drawn to architectural scale, typically 1/4 inches, 3/16 inches or 1/8 inches
- Legible - Neat and legible; void of handwritten notes
- Orientation - All drawings in the same orientation on the sheets
- General construction elevation drawing showing: height from grade to top of fence, size and spacing of all support and framing members and foundation details