- Human Services
- Social Services
- Financial Assistance
- Child Care Assistance
Child Care Assistance
The Child Care Assistance program provides financial assistance to low-income working families with child care needs.
To apply for this program, several requirements must be met and include:
- Be willing to seek child support through the Division of Child Support Enforcement for absent parent(s)
- Families must meet income requirements
- Must prove there is a need for the Child Care (parent/caretaker working or in school)
- Must provide verification of employment
Apply for Program
You may apply for the program by:
- Accessing online assistance at CommonHelp
- Contacting our office and requesting an application:
Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services
9501 Lucy Corr Circle
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Downloading an application from the Virginia Department of Social Services
To locate unregulated, regulated, or a licensed child care provider in your area, please visit Virginia Child Care. It will provide valuable information regarding:
- Complaint history
- Contact information for licensing specialist assigned to each provider
- Length and type of licensure
- Location of the provider
- Past violations
- Telephone number
Becoming a Licensed Provider
If you are interested in becoming a licensed provider you may contact the Virginia Department of Social Services Department of Licensing at 804-662-9743.
To file a complaint on a provider, you may call the Virginia Department of Social Services, Division of Licensing at 804-726-7154.
Changes to Virginia Law
- Effective July 1, 2016, a family day home caring for more than 4 children (not including the provider’s biological children or other children legally residing in the home) must be licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS).
- Effective July 1, 2015, if a family day home does not have a license or a voluntarily registered certificate from VDSS, the family day home must notify parents in writing that the home is not regulated by VDSS.
- Child Care Aware of Virginia: 866-543-7852
- Division of Child Support Enforcement
- Licensing - Children’s Programs: 800-543-7545
- Virginia 2-1-1 or dial 2-1-1
- Virginia Department of Social Services
- Virginia Quality