Application Submission Requirements
- Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Plot plan showing setbacks from existing and proposed improvements. Acceptable plot plans contain the following:
- Entire property, showing all property line dimensions
- Existing dwelling, any other existing structures and the proposed structure location (clearly indicate all proposed structure dimensions). For proposed accessory structures, indicate the overall height.
- Setbacks from the closest point of the proposed structure to property lines in each direction. Label the measurements from each property line to the closest point on the structure. Be as exact as possible and clearly label the road name.
- Construction plans (two or more copies) - We'll return one copy to you with the issued permit. For technical design criteria, download the Deck, Stair and Ramp Details (PDF) pamphlet.
- Residential Plans Review Delivery Form (PDF) - Indicates whether you want the permit and forms mailed to you or held for three days at the Building Inspection office for you to pick up.
- Permit and other related fee payments
- Download the Residential Fee Schedule (PDF).
- Accepted payment methods
- Credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa)
Construction Plan Requirements (two or more copies)
- Details of the attachment of the deck to the structure
- Floor plan and floor framing
- Footing details
- Guard rail and picket framing details
- If the deck will support a hot tub, provide the manufacturer's details of size and weight of the hot tub during use.
- Support post location and size
Plan Detail Requirements
General Requirements for all Construction Drawings
- Numbered - Number each plan sheet.
- Scale - Draw structural plans to architectural scale (typically 1/4 inches, 3/16 inches or 1/8 inches).
- Legible - Make sure the plans are neat and legible (no handwritten notes).
- Orientation - Lay out all drawings in the same orientation (portrait or landscape).
Plan View Requirements
Plan views for footing & foundation, elevations & framing
- Perimeter and interior dimensions
- All beams identified
- All beams carrying more than 4,000 pounds (identify the column on each end)
- Size and direction of all joists
- For I-joists or open-web joists, provide the manufacturer's layout plan.
- Identification on plans similar to:
- Nominal lumber: 2 by 8 SYP at 16 inches on center (o.c.)
- I-joists: Truss Joist, Series 230, 11 feet 7/8 inches, 16 inches o.c.
- Elevations: Two elevations (from the front and side)