Deck Project Checklist
Application Submission Requirements
- Client Registration Form (PDF) - required if the permit is being applied for by a contractor who has never performed work in Chesterfield County before
- Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Plot plan showing setbacks from existing and proposed improvements. Acceptable plot plans contain the following:
- Entire property, showing all property line dimensions
- Existing dwelling, any other existing structures and location of proposed structure (all dimensions of proposed structure clearly indicated). For proposed accessory structures, indicate the overall height.
- Setbacks from the closest point of the proposed structure to property lines in each direction. Label the measurements from each property line to the closest point on the structure. Be as exact as possible and label the name of the road clearly.
- Construction plans (2 or more copies) - One set will be returned to the applicant with the issued permit. For technical design criteria, download the Deck, Stair and Ramp Details (PDF) pamphlet.
- Residential Plans Review Delivery Form (PDF) - Indicates whether you would like the permit and forms mailed to you or held for three days at the Building Inspection office for you to pick up.
- Permit and other related fee payments
- Download the Residential Fee Schedule (PDF).
- Accepted payment methods
- Credit/debit card
- American Express
Construction Plan Requirements (2 or more copies)
- Attachment of the deck to the structure details
- Floor plan and floor framing
- Footing details
- Guard rail and picket framing details
- If the deck will support a hot tub, provide the manufacturer's details of size and weight of the hot tub during use
- Support post location and size
Plan Detail Requirements
General Requirements for all Construction Drawings
- Numbered - Number each plan sheet.
- Scale - Draw structural plans to architectural scale (typically 1/4 inches, 3/16 inches or 1/8 inches).
- Legible - Make sure the plans are neat and legible (no handwritten notes).
- Orientation - Lay out all drawings in the same orientation (portrait or landscape).
Plan View Requirements
Plan views for footing and foundation, elevations and framing
- Perimeter and interior dimensions
- All beams identified
- All beams carrying more than 4,000 pounds (identify column on each end)
- Size and direction of all joists
- For I-joists or open-web joists, provide the manufacturer's layout plan.
- Identification on plans similar to:
- Nominal lumber: 2 by 8 SYP at 16 inches on center (o.c.)
- I-joists: Truss Joist, Series 230, 11 feet 7/8 inches, 16 inches o.c.
- Elevations: Two elevations (from the front and side)