- Building permit
- Electrical permit may be required depending on the scope of work being performed
Application Submittal Requirements
- 1 copy of Client Registration Form (PDF) - if the permit is being applied for by a contractor who has never performed work in Chesterfield County before
- 1 copy of the Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- 1 copy of the plot plan showing setbacks from existing and proposed improvements. Acceptable plot plans contain the following:
- Entire property, showing all property line dimensions
- Existing dwelling, any other existing structures and location of proposed structure (all dimensions of proposed structure clearly indicated). For proposed accessory structures, indicate the overall height.
- Setbacks from the closest point of the proposed structure to property lines in each direction. Label the measurements from each property line to the closest point on the structure. Be as exact as possible and label the name of road clearly.
- 2 copies of the construction plans - One set will be returned to the applicant with the issued permit. (For more detail on exactly what the construction plans require, see Construction Plan Requirements listed below.) For technical design criteria, download the Deck, Stair and Ramp Details (PDF) pamphlet.
- 1 copy of the Residential Plans Review Delivery Form (PDF) - Indicates whether you would like the permit and forms mailed to you or held for three days at the Building Inspection office for you to pick up
- Payment of permit and other related fees - Residential Fee Schedule (PDF). Cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express cards are accepted.
Construction Plan Requirements: 2 Copy Minimum
- Attachment of the deck to the structure details
- Floor plan and floor framing
- Footing details
- Guard rail and picket framing details
- If the deck will support a hot tub, provide manufacturer's details of size and weight of hot tub during use
- Support post location and size
Plan Detail Requirements
- General Requirements for all Construction Drawings:
- Numbered - Every sheet of the plans numbered
- Scale - Structural plans drawn to architectural scale, typically 1/4 inches, 3/16 inches or 1/8 inches
- Legible - Neat and legible; void of handwritten notes
- Orientation - All drawings in the same orientation on the sheets
- Plan Views - Footing and Foundation, Elevations and Framing. Show the following details:
- Perimeter and interior dimensions
- All beams identified
- All beams carrying more than 4,000 pounds - identify column on each end.
- Size and direction of all joists
- For I-joists or open-web joists, provide manufacturer's layout plan. Identification on plans similar to:
- Nominal lumber: 2 by 8 SYP at 16 inches on center (o.c.)
- I-joists: Truss Joist, Series 230, 11 feet 7/8 inches, 16 inches o.c.
- Elevations: Two elevations: from the front and side