Carport / Enclosing Carport
For technical design criteria, download the Requirements for Sheds, Carports and Garages (PDF) pamphlet.
- Building permit
- Electrical permit may be required depending on the scope of work being performed
Application Submittal Requirements
- 1 copy of Client Registration Form (PDF) - if the permit is being applied for by a contractor who has never performed work in Chesterfield County before.
- 1 copy of the Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- 1 copy of the plot plan showing setbacks from existing and proposed improvements. Acceptable plot plans contain the following:
- Entire property, showing all property line dimensions
- Existing dwelling, any other existing structures and location of proposed structure (all dimensions of proposed structure clearly indicated). For proposed accessory structures, indicate the overall height.
- Setbacks from the closest point of the proposed structure to property lines in each direction. Label the measurements from each property line to the closest point on the structure. Be as exact as possible and label the name of road clearly.
- 2 copies of the construction plans - One set will be returned to the applicant with the issued permit. (For more detail on exactly what the construction plans require, see Construction Plan Requirements listed below.)
- 1 copy of the Residential Plans Review Delivery Form (PDF) - Indicates whether you would like the permit and forms mailed to you or held for three days at the Building Inspection office for you to pick up
- Payment of permit and other related fees - Residential Fee Schedule (PDF). Cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express cards are accepted.
Construction Document Requirements: Minimum of Two Copies
- Floor plan with window, door locations and use labeled (if enclosing)
- Footing and foundation plan
- Metal carports are required to be designed and sealed by a Virginia registered design professional such as an Engineer or Architect
- Roof and roof framing plan
- Support post location
Plan Detail Requirements
- General Requirements for all Construction Drawings:
- Numbered - Every sheet of the plans numbered
- Scale - Structural plans drawn to architectural scale, typically 1/4-inch, 3/16-inch or 1/8-inch
- Legible - Neat and legible; void of handwritten notes
- Orientation - All drawings in the same orientation on the sheets
- Plan Views - Footing and Foundation, Elevations and Roof. Show the following details:
- Perimeter and interior dimensions
- All beams identified
- All beams carrying more than 4,000lbs - identify column on each end.
- Size and direction of all ceiling joists
- For I-joists or open-web joists, provide manufacturer's layout plan. Identification on plans similar to:
- Nominal lumber: 2 by 8 SYP at 16 inches on center (o.c.)
- I-joists: Truss Joist, Series 230, 11 feet 7/8 inches, 16 inches o.c.
- Each rafter or truss individually drawn to show bearing; all overbuilt roofs identified
- For structures with truss roofs - provide truss layout and individual truss detail sheets. Truss detail sheets do not need to be individually sealed for plan review but must be sealed by a registered design professional at the time of inspection.
- Elevations: Two elevations: from the front and side