The Department of Risk Management assures effective and sustainable management systems are implemented across Chesterfield County Government and Chesterfield County Public Schools (CCPS) to identify, evaluate and control operational and organizational risks to minimize potential loss and liabilities associated with our operations and activities.
We actively participate in helping to create a workplace culture where we protect our people, students and citizens, are responsible stewards of the environment, and manage operational risks to minimize loss and liabilities. We provide effective levels of protection, risk sharing strategies and claims administration to sustain the ability to provide critical community services and responsibly manage our financial obligations and responsibilities.
- Management of the county and schools' comprehensive risk management plan and programs including: administration of the self-insurance internal service fund, brokered excess insurance coverages, negotiation of insurance policies and leadership of the environmental, health and safety (EHS) management system.
- EHS professional consultation, guidance to help manage operational risks, prevent and minimize loss, and assure regulatory compliance.
- Assessment of risk, recommendation of targeted improvement activities and implementation of operational controls.
- Provision of training in risk management principles and EHS requirements.
- Claims administration for workers compensation, auto, general, property and professional liability.
Environmental Management and Guidance
The Environmental, Health and Safety division of Risk Management is responsible for guiding environmental compliance and stewardship activities throughout the county and schools. The county-wide EHS management system has been developed using ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 framework as the template for continuous environmental and safety improvement.
In the Community
There are many ways our citizens can help make Chesterfield an environmentally friendly place to live. By participating in the following environmental best practices, we all can make a positive difference:
- Use power saving features on electronic devices
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with LED bulbs
- Unplug chargers and other cables when not in use
- Carpool or ride your bike to your destinations
In the County
- Environmental regulatory updates are regularly distributed by Risk Management to departments throughout the county
- Risk Management reviews projects, special events and other activities to manage risks, ensure environmental compliance and share best practices
- Risk Management establishes many county and schools environmental policies and operational controls; among them:
- Stormwater pollution prevention procedure for roads, streets and parking lot maintenance
- SMART procedure for spills and an Environmental Incident response and reporting
- Environmental best practices guidance for county and schools
- The EHS division conducts periodic environmental and safety compliance assessments
In the Schools
There have been a number of improvements and successful campaigns related to environmental practices implemented in the schools over the past several years. Performance has greatly improved.
- Some of these efforts include:
- Best Practices Manual for stormwater pollution prevention
- Environmental Awareness training module required annually for all CCPS staff
- Quarterly inspection procedure for stormwater pollution prevention at CCPS maintenance facilities
- Increased efforts for proper disposal and management of chemical wastes in schools, including:
- Science room laboratory wastes/expired chemicals
- Water treatment chemicals
- Oil-based paints
- Recycling of fluorescent lighting
- Dispose of hazardous waste in the proper place
- Ensure littler and chemicals do not enter storm drains
- Avoid balloon releases
- Use environmentally safe or green chemicals for cleaning
- Use reusable cups and bottles whenever possible
- Use reusable bags instead of plastic bags
- Recycle as much as possible
- Attending a shred event for shredding and electronic recycling