The Department of Risk Management assures effective and sustainable management systems are implemented across Chesterfield County and Chesterfield County Public Schools to identify, evaluate, and control operational and organizational risks to minimize potential loss and liabilities associated with our operations and activities.
We actively participate in helping to create a workplace culture where: we protect our people, students, and citizens, are responsible stewards of the environment, and manage operational risks to minimize loss and liabilities. We provide effective levels of protection, risk sharing strategies and claims administration to sustain the ability to provide critical community services and responsibly manage our financial obligations and responsibilities.
Our Common Goals
We are a group of dedicated professionals who have a passion for helping others, and share a common set of goals that include:
- Preventing injury by creating safe, secure & healthy county facilities and workplaces.
- Protecting and sustaining the environment.
- Complying with regulatory requirements.
- Minimizing loss through recognition and management of risk.
- Enhancing the brand image of Chesterfield County & Public Schools.
- Ensuring financial strength through appropriate risk sharing.
- Efficiently managing claims to ensure fair and equitable settlement in the best interests of the County, Schools, and the citizens of Chesterfield County.
- Management of the County and School System’s comprehensive risk management plan and programs including: administration of the self-insurance internal service fund, brokered excess insurance coverages, negotiation of insurance policies and leadership of the environmental, health & safety (EHS) management system.
- Environmental, health & safety professional consultation, guidance to help manage operational risks, prevent and minimize loss, and assure regulatory compliance.
- Assessment of risk, recommendation of targeted improvement activities, and implementation of operational controls.
- Provision of training in risk management principles and EHS requirements.
- Claims administration for workers compensation, auto, general, property, and professional liability.