McRae Road (Forest Hill Road to Rockaway Road) Sidewalks
Bon Air Pedestrian Improvements, Phase 1
Revenue sharing funds (50% state funds and 50% county funds) will be used to construct a concrete sidewalk along McRae Road from Forest Hill Avenue to Rockaway Road and an asphalt shared-use path along Rockaway Road from McRae Road to the Bon Air Community Association. The project also includes the construction of a mini-roundabout at the intersection of McRae Road and Rattlesnake Road. A design public hearing was held May 16, 2019.
McRae Road will remain open to traffic at all times. Some daytime alternating lane closures will be necessary during construction.
Construction delayed, expected to begin in 2023: The county recently solicited bids for construction services but are unable to award the contract due to its high cost. We are seeing the same market forces that are impacting other industries and our bids for construction came in 100% higher than anticipated. While we believe that some portion of the increased construction costs we're seeing are here to stay, we also think this bid reflected a particularly overheated market. As a result, we will be soliciting new bids later this year in the hopes that our timing is better, and we are able to make enough adjustments in our contract to drive our costs lower. Rest assured, the construction of the new sidewalks along McRae Road from Forest Hill Road to Rockaway Road remains a priority.
- 01_McRae Sidewalk_PH - Notice Ad to paper (PDF)
- 02_McRae Sidewalk_PH - Comment Sheet (PDF)
- 03_McRae Sidewalk_PH - Handout (PDF)
- 04_McRae Sidewalk_PH - Improvements Exhibit (PDF)
- 05_McRae Sidewalk_PH - Typical Sections (PDF)
- 06_McRae Sidewalk_PH - Mini-Roundabout Examples (PDF)
- 07_McRae Sidewalk_PH - Temporary Detour Plan (PDF)
- 08_McRae Sidewalk_PH - Next Phase Bon Air Ped Improv (PDF)
- 09_McRae Sidewalk Public Hearing Comment Summary (PDF)
- 10_McRae Sidewalk - Right of Way Plans