There are two convenience centers: the Northern Area Convenience Center (NACC) and the Southern Area Convenience Center (SACC).
County residents may recycle live Christmas trees at either Convenience Center location free through Friday, January 31, 2020. Only live trees without decorations may be recycled.
All fees are payable by:
- Credit Card (MasterCard and Visa ONLY)
- Check (written to: Treasurer, Chesterfield County) Effective January 1, 2020, we will no longer accept checks for payment.
Customer Value Cards (CVCs) will no longer be offered. Cards without expiration dates will be honored until all visits are used.
If you are not able to unload your material, please ask for a Site Supervisor at the Cashier's Booth and they will coordinate staff to assist.
This list is provided only as a guide to help our customers and should not be considered complete. Questions regarding the acceptability of a particular waste should be directed to the attendant on site, Customer Service at 804-748-1297, or via our online contact form.
A $15 fee per item. Items include:
- Air Conditioner
- Freezer (remove all food waste)
- Refrigerator (remove all food waste)
Appliances, Non Freon
A $10 fee per item. Items include:
- Furnace / Boiler
- Hot Water Heater
- Trash Compactor (Residential)
Construction & Demolition Debris
Contractors working at county residences may bring in construction and demolition debris from one residential property per visit. No asbestos, lead, chemicals or paint are allowed. A driver’s license and proof of residential work site (e.g., utility bill, building permit) shall be made available upon request. The fees, applicable to both citizens and contractors, are:
- 1 Pickup truck load: $15
- 1 Pickup truck load with 10-foot or smaller trailer load: $30
- 1 Pickup truck load with trailer load longer than 10-foot and shorter than 20-foot: $45
- 1 Pickup truck load with a trailer load longer than 20-foot
Grills & Propane Tanks
Items allowed include:
- Propane tanks: 1-pound, 20-pound (grill size), and 40-pound (camper size)
Household Hazardous Chemicals
The disposal fee is free. No contractor chemicals or paint allowed. There is a limit of 10 gallons of paint per year. Items allowed include:
- Aerosol Cans
- Auto Batteries
- Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs – up to 5 per household
- Fluorescent Light Tubes – up to 5 per household
- Gasoline - 10-gallon limit
- Oil Filters
- Paints (See Paint Disposal tab for Additional Information)
- Used Oil - 10 gallon limit
The fee for lawnmower disposal is $7. There is no additional fee if brought in with residential household waste. All gasoline and oil need to be removed prior to drop off. Riding lawnmowers are required to have the battery removed prior to disposal.
The disposal fee is $7. There is an annual limit of three mattress sets.
Residential Trash & Vegetative Debris
Items allowed include:
- Other yard waste
- Small limbs
- Timber less than 16-inches in diameter and 8-foot long
The disposal fees are:
- 1 Pickup truck load: $7
- 1 Pickup truck load with a 10-foot or smaller trailer load: $14
- 1 Pickup truck load with a trailer load longer than 10-foot and shorter than 20-foot: $21
Trucks larger than standard pickup trucks, including moving vans, roll backs, and small dump trucks will be charged accordingly. Bagged leaves and wood chips are to be disposed of in the MSW containers.
There is a limit of five tires, Over-sized tires are not accepted. The disposal fees are:
- Off-Rim Tire: $2 / each
- On-Rim Tire: $5 / each
The following is a list of several wastes that are unacceptable at the county's disposal facilities:
- Contractor Construction and Demolition Debris
- Explosive Items
- Fire Extinguishers
- Medical Waste
- Oil-based paint – Events Only beginning Oct. 1, 2019
- Over-sized Tires
- Propane Tanks > 30lbs
- Timber (greater than 16-inches in diameter or 8-foot long)
This list is provided only as a guide to help our customers and should not be considered complete or exclusive of any other wastes that might be regulated or unacceptable for some other reason.
Questions About Acceptability
Questions regarding the acceptability of a particular waste should be directed to the attendant or Customer Service at 804-748-1297 or via our online contact form.
Effective October 1, 2019
Latex Paint Disposal
To protect the environment and reduce cost, the Chesterfield County WARR division has developed a new latex paint disposal process, and your help is needed to make it work!
Latex paint is NOT hazardous and can be safely disposed of in the trash once it is solid. Please follow the instructions below to solidify your latex paint.
- Remove and discard the paint lid.
- Make sure the paint can is half full or less. (If the can is more than half full, pour excess into another container, like an empty coffee can).
- Add kitty litter, mulch, sawdust or paint hardener to the latex paint can. Safely stir the mixture together and allow it to harden. If liquid remains, add more solid material to the latex paint can.
- Allow the paint to dry in a ventilated area. Once latex paint has hardened, discard in trash or bring to the Convenience Center for free disposal.
Oil-Based Paint Disposal
Oil-based paint is considered hazardous in liquid form and cannot be disposed of in the trash. Oil-based paint will only be accepted at special events to be held at the Convenience Centers.
Events will be held periodically for Chesterfield County Residents to dispose of up to 5 gallons of oil-based paint liquid per household at no charge. Event information will be updated here on our website and on our Events calendar.
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFLs)
There is no recycling fee for CFLs.
The following residential electronics can be recycled at the convenience centers:
- Electrical cords
Citizens will have the choice to put monitors, TVs, and other electronics into the trash containers or take to the next county e-cycling collection event to be recycled.
Please note there is a limit of two CPUs per visit.
There is no recycling fees for these items:
- Metal containers
- Mixed paper:
- Computer paper
- Junk mail
- Office paper
- Plastics (Number One through number seven plastics) including waxy coated food and beverage cartons including:
- Egg substitutes
- Juice boxes
Please note that food-contaminated containers, plastic bags, and Styrofoam items are not allowed.
There is no recycling fee for scrap metal. A scrap metal box is available at both convenience center locations. Any clean, reusable metal is accepted.
There is no recycling fee for textiles. The size is limited due to the slot being 30-inches by 15-inches. Items included are:
- Small toys
Used Oil & Anti-Freeze Recycling
There is no recycling fee for used oil and anti-freeze. There is a limited of 10 gallons per visit. Items included are:
- Used Anti-Freeze
- Used Motor Oil
- Used Residential Oil Filters