Open Burning Regulations
No burning is permitted from May 1 through Sept. 30.
Open burning/permitted burning does not excuse you from consequences associated with damages or injuries. All laws, ordinances, regulations must be complied with according to federal government, Commonwealth of Virginia and/or Chesterfield County.
Open Burning Rules
- Fires must be constantly attended until extinguished and no longer smoldering.
- Attendees must provide adequate fire extinguishing equipment to control the fire.
- The Virginia Division of Forestry requires that any open burning from Feb. 15 through April 30 of each year, within 300 feet of woodland, brushland, or field containing dry grass or other combustible material leading to woodland, be done between the hours of 4 p.m. and midnight.
- Bonfires, Campfires and Recreational Fires
- Fire Pits
- Land Clearing and Property Maintenance
- Leaf Burning
- Tree and Garden Trimmings
Bonfires, campfires, and recreational fires are permitted under certain circumstances. View more information about conducting these types of fires.
Fire Pits and Burn Barrels
You may have a recreational fire in a fire pit using only clean wood (sticks and/or firewood). The fire should be limited in size to 3 feet by 2 feet and be attended at all times with means available to extinguish it. We recommend your fire be at least 25 feet from anything combustible.
Permits are for 90 days. You can burn any debris generated from development of property. This includes the removal of unwanted, leaning, hazardous, or dead trees, regardless of size, during normal upkeep or landscaping of the property. This could also include but is not limited to limbs, tree trunks, logs and stumps.
The burning of leaves is permitted during certain times of the year in limited portions of the County. View more information about leaf burning.
Permits are for 30 days. You can burn any vegetation that:
- Commonly removed from trees, shrubs or garden plants during the normal pruning process
- Falls from trees during normal thunderstorms or windy days
- Is removed from a garden after the growing season (corn stalks, tomato vines, bean vines, etc.)