Chesterfield Utilities is excited to announce the Advanced Metering project, which will assist in:
- Upgrading current technology
- Improving services
- Providing customers with more ways to manage water use
- Improving operational efficiency
- Enhancing environmental stewardship
How Advanced Metering Works
Infrastructure, such as water and wastewater lines, pumps and water meters, that are used to provide water and wastewater service must be replaced or repaired periodically to ensure they are working efficiently. The Advanced Metering project will provide either new water meters with electronic endpoints or will retrofit existing water meters with electronic endpoints that will communicate meter readings via cellular networks for more efficient billing capabilities. The project will improve services to homes and businesses throughout our service area.
Benefits of Advanced Metering
The resulting improved communications and data will enhance customer engagement, improve customer service and support the county’s goal to demonstrate excellence in public service with a commitment to fiscal stewardship and efficient use of resources. To support these goals, this project will enable Chesterfield Utilities to provide customers with real-time data and alerts for high consumption that will help avoid unexpected high bills. It also will allow customers, if they choose, to track and manage water usage through an online portal.
Advanced Meter Project Timeline
- Spring 2021 - System Testing: Advanced Metering system testing
- Summer 2021 - Initial Deployment Area Testing: Initial deployment of several hundred meters and associated communications network devices installed and tested
- Fall 2021 - Complete Testing: Once successful system integration and thorough testing is completed, mass deployment of meters will begin
- Fall 2021-Fall 2024 - Mass Deployment: Mass deployment of meters will occur over the next two to three years
Throughout the implementation of the Advanced Metering project, Chesterfield Utilities will continue to provide safe, reliable water and wastewater service. Customers will be contacted prior to their new meter being installed and should experience minimal service interruptions during installation and testing. As the project progresses, updates will continue to be provided.
- What is Advanced Metering and how do advanced water meters work?
- Why is the department upgrading to Advanced Metering and what are the benefits of advanced water meters? Are there any environmental benefits?
- Is there a fee or application process necessary to upgrade my meter?
- Can I keep my current water meter?
- When will I receive the new advanced meter and how will I be notified of the installation? Can I make an appointment for the meter upgrade?
- How is the advance meter installation done? Do I need to be home when they install the new meter? Will you need to enter my house to make this exchange?
- Is the advanced meter reading accurate?
- Will there be any differences in the delivery or quality of water after the meter upgrade? Will I see any changes to the amount I usually pay for my water/wastewater service?
- Is my advanced meter reading secure? Can my advanced meter reading be confused with my neighbor’s reading?
- Does the radio frequency signal post any health concerns? Will the radio frequency interfere with my television, computer, cordless phone, garage door, pacemaker or other electronic devices?
- What if I have questions about the last meter read before the meter upgrade?