Waste and Resource Recovery Division
The Waste and Resource Recovery (WARR) Division is one of seven divisions within the Department of General Services. WARR is a leader in Environmental, Health and Safety Management and has achieved Exemplary Environmental Enterprise (E3) status in the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality's Environmental Excellence Program.
Provide citizens with safe and cost-effective waste disposal and recycling options
WARR provides several local services including:
- Operates two convenience centers for residential waste disposal and recycling while diverting approximately 40% of all incoming materials from local landfills
- Administers a curbside recycling program for approximately 94,000 households in conjunction with the Central Virginia Waste Management Authority. Over 13,000 tons of single stream materials are recycled annually.
- Manages the county's three closed landfills
- Oversees debris management operations during severe weather events
- Directs the implementation of a department-wide Environmental, Health and Safety Management System (EHS)
- What is the contact information for Shoosmith Landfill?
You can find Shoosmith Landfill information on the Shoosmith Landfill website, or you may call 804‐214‐3190.
- What day is my recycling picked up?
You can find this information on the Central Virginia Waste Management Authority (CVWMA) website.
- How can I opt out of the Curbside Recycling Program?
You can opt out by completing the Curbside Recycling Program Opt-out form online or by calling the Customer Service Center at 804-748-1297.
- Are contractors allowed to use the Convenience Centers?
Contractors working at county residences may bring in construction and demolition debris from one residential property per visit. No asbestos, lead, chemicals, or paint are allowed. A driver’s license and proof of residential work site (e.g., utility bill, building permit) shall be made available upon request.
- Can I dispose of diabetic needles at the convenience centers?
Yes, place in a 2-liter bottle with a secure lid and tape with duct tape.
- Who can I contact to verify if and how my waste can be disposed of at the convenience centers?
You can reach us via email or by phone 804-318-8209 or 804-748-1447.