COVID-19 Vaccine FAQ
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
The Chesterfield Health District (CHD) is a division of the Virginia Department of Health (VDH). The CHD is comprised of the counties of Chesterfield and Powhatan and the city of Colonial Heights. VDH distributes COVID-19 vaccines to local health districts, such as CHD, which then administer the vaccine to eligible individuals within the health district, according to phases set by VDH. For current vaccination data for Chesterfield County and the Chesterfield Health District, as well as overall vaccination data for Greater Richmond region localities, visit the Chesterfield COVID-19 Vaccination Dashboard. To find a COVID-19 vaccine near you, visit VaccineFinder.org.
To view current information regarding the COVID-19 vaccine in:
Chesterfield County COVID-19 Vaccine Information Frequently Asked Questions
Does Chesterfield County Government play any role in determining supply, capacity and administration of the vaccine?
The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) is coordinating efforts with the state’s health districts, which includes the VDH Chesterfield Health District, to organize vaccination efforts. Chesterfield County Government does not determine supply or administration of vaccinations.
If Chesterfield County Government isn’t overseeing the COVID-19 rollout, then what’s the difference between Chesterfield County and VDH-operated Chesterfield Health District?
The VDH Chesterfield Health District is a state-based division that oversees all public health matters in Chesterfield and Powhatan counties and the City of Colonial Heights. The Chesterfield Health District operates independently of Chesterfield County Government and receives the bulk of its funding and instruction from the state.
COVID-19 Vaccines: Roles of VDH Chesterfield Health District and Chesterfield County Government
VDH Chesterfield Health District
- A state entity and division of VDH
- The Chesterfield Health District includes Chesterfield County, Powhatan County and the City of Colonial Heights
- Responsible for following the vaccination phases set by VDH
- Responsible for ordering, distributing and administering the vaccine to eligible individuals within the district, except hospital systems and long-term care facilities, according to phases set by VDH
- Coordinates the distribution of the vaccine to other organizations and businesses for administering
- Led by Health District Director Dr. Alexander Samuel, MD, MPH
- Assists VDH and Chesterfield Health District in sharing COVID-19-related information to Chesterfield County employees, residents and business owners
- Administers Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act and any future funding, as directed by the federal government
- Led by the Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors and County Administrator Dr. Joe Casey