Register to Vote
Deadline to register to vote, or update an existing registration, is Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2020.
- General Elections are 22 days before election
- Primary Elections are 22 days before election
Ways to Register
- Register online: Use the online Step-by Step (PDF) form for assistance
- Download registration form (PDF)
- Obtain a registration form from one of the following places:
- Department of Motor Vehicles offices
- The Office of the General Registrar
- Public Libraries
- Virginia Department of Elections offices
To be eligible to vote in Virginia a voter must:
- Be a resident of Virginia (a person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes)
- Be a U. S. Citizen
- Be 18 years old (any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and vote in any intervening primary or special election)
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state
- Not currently be declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
- Have his/her right to vote restored if ever convicted of a felony
Update Your Record
For existing Virginia voters only, there are several ways for you to update your record:
- In person at the Office of the General Registrar
- Complete the change of address form on the back of your voter registration card and mail it or bring it in person to the Office of the General Registrar
- Download Virginia Voter Registration Form (PDF), or, if you are military or overseas, download a Federal Post Card Application.
- Send a letter stating your full name, last four digits of your social security number, Date of Birth, new and old address, signature with the request.
- The application must be received/postmarked no later than the deadline.
- Applications received/postmarked after the deadline will be held and processed after the election.
- Please answer every question and sign the application.
- Once submitted, please allow at least 2 weeks for your application to be processed.
Ways to Submit Application & Letters
You can submit the application and letters by mail to:
P.O. Box 1690
Chesterfield VA 23832-1690
You can submit the application in person (either by the applicant or a third party) Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. at:
Office of the General Registrar
9848 Lori Road
Chesterfield VA 23832
The office is open on the 2 Saturdays preceding the General Election from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Contact the General Registrar’s Office with any questions by calling 804-748-1471.