Register to Vote
Deadline to register to vote, or update an existing registration, is Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2021.
- General Elections are 22 days before election
- Primary Elections are 22 days before election
Ways to Register
- Register online
- Download registration application (PDF)
- Obtain a registration form from one of the following places:
- Department of Motor Vehicles offices
- The Office of the General Registrar
- Public Libraries
- Virginia Department of Elections offices
To be eligible to vote in Virginia a voter must:
- Be a resident of Virginia (a person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes)
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Be 18 years old (any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and vote in any intervening primary or special election)
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state
- Not currently be declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
- Have his/her right to vote restored if ever convicted of a felony
Update Your Voter Registration Record
For existing Virginia voters only, there are several ways for you to update your voter registration record:
- In person at the Office of the General Registrar
- Complete the change of address form on the back of your voter registration card and mail it or bring it in person to the Office of the General Registrar. The request must include your signature to be valid.
- Download and complete a Virginia Voter Registration Form (PDF), or, if you are military or overseas, download a Federal Post Card Application. The request must include your signature to be valid.
- Send a letter requesting the update. The letter must include your full name, last four digits of your social security number, date of birth, new and old address, as well as your signature to be valid.
- Request to Cancel your Voter Registration (PDF)
- Report the Death of a Registered Voter (DOCX)
After the update is processed, a new voter registration card will be mailed to your residence address, if applicable.
- The application must be received/postmarked no later than the registration deadline.
- Applications received/postmarked after the deadline will be held and processed after the election.
- Please answer every question and sign the application for it to be valid.
- Once submitted, please allow at least two weeks for your application to be processed.
- A voter registration card will be mailed to your residence address.
Ways to Submit Applications & Letters
- By mail to:
P.O. Box 1690
Chesterfield VA 23832-1690
- In person (either by the applicant or a third party) Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. at:
Office of the General Registrar
9848 Lori Road
Chesterfield VA 23832
The office is open the two Saturdays preceding the election from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Contact the General Registrar’s Office with any questions, 804-748-1471.