Professional Fire Fighters Association
The Chesterfield County Professional Firefighters Association (CPFFA), International Association of Firefighters (IAFF), Local 2803 was affiliated on November 13, 1980. Currently, we represent the following groups:
- Civilian Employees
- Emergency Dispatchers
- Uniformed Employees from Firefighter to Senior Captain
CPFFA and leadership have worked on many programs which include:
- Development and implementation of a career development program
- Development and implementation of the department's Rapid Intervention Team policy. (Two-In-Two-Out)
- Development of a department program to investigate line-of-duty injuries and deaths based on the program developed by the IAFF
- Development of the department's infection control program
- Development of a professionally managed department-wide health and fitness program based on the IAFF/IAFC initiative
- Development of recommendations regarding the implementation of the county's drug/alcohol testing procedure
- Installation of diesel emissions systems in fire stations
- Purchase of the department's first Personal Alert Safety System device
We are a community-based organization that supports many worthwhile causes. These include the following.
Fill the Boot for Muscular Dystrophy (MDA)
With support from the department and in conjunction with the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon.
Smoke Detector & Education Fund
We routinely donate to this fund, which provides free smoke detectors to the community and purchases fire safety related education materials for school children.
Central Virginia Burn Camp
We provide support and donations to this yearly camp, which provides a week-long escape for children who are victims of burn injuries.
Chesterfield Fire & EMS Life Safety House
We contributed to the community effort to purchase the house.
Old Dominion Professional Firefighters Burn Foundation
We support Medical College of Virginia's burn treatment and prevention efforts.
We provide our members with training opportunities, which include:
- IAFF and VPFFA Educational Seminars
- IAFF Human Relations Conference
- IAFF Legislative Conference
- IAFF Redmond Safety and Health Symposium
We provide each member with a guarantee of duty to fair representation, which includes the following:
- Support during all steps of the grievance process, including legal representation during steps three and four.
- Support during the Worker's Compensation process, including legal representation.
- Mediation of issues per the department policy. (The association was extensively involved in program development and implementation. The president is the current Mediation Team Coordinator.)
IAFF Legislative Accomplishments include:
- Line-of-Duty Death Investigations: IAFF created a new federal government program to investigate every firefighter line-of-duty death to eliminate future injuries and fatalities.
- Two-In-Two-Out: We led the fight for an OSHA regulation requiring "Two- In-Two-Out" safe fire ground staffing and defeated federal legislation to overturn the rule.
- Infectious Disease Notification: IAFF fought to create a federal program enabling firefighters to learn if they have been exposed to an infectious disease.
- Survivor Death Benefits: IAFF worked for survivor benefits paid to the families of the firefighters killed on the line of duty to be exempt from taxation.
- Firefighter Pension Benefits: IAFF helped enhance the benefits of "457 deferred compensation plans" and established a special exemption from the pension laws that allows firefighters to receive pension packages different than other municipal employees.
- Public Safety Officer Benefits (PSOB): IAFF worked to expand the benefit to include firefighters who are permanently and totally disabled in the line of duty.