Fraud-Related Resources

Credit Card Fraud/Identity Theft

If you have been the victim of credit card fraud or identity theft, the following information and tips can assist you.

  • Contact the financial institution that issued the credit or debit card. Dispute all charges identified as fraudulent activity. Request replacement cards with new account numbers. The financial institution will likely send you an "affidavit of fraud." Complete this document and return it to the institution immediately.
  • Report any suspected identity theft to all three credit reporting bureaus and request your accounts be flagged. It is recommended you request they contact you to verify all future credit applications.
  • Obtain a free copy of your credit report from Annual Credit Report. Dispute any fraudulent accounts discovered with the credit bureaus and the institutions with which those accounts were opened.

Credit Bureaus

Equifax Credit Information Services - Consumer Fraud Division
P.O. Box 105496
Atlanta, Georgia 30348-5496
Tel: (800) 997-2493

P.O. Box 2104
Allen, Texas 75013-2104
Tel: (888) EXPERIAN (397-3742)

Trans Union Fraud Victim Assistance Dept.
P.O. Box 390
Springfield, PA 19064-0390
Tel: (800) 680-7289

  • Notify the Social Security Administration if your Social Security number has been used fraudulently by filing a report with the Office of the Inspector General of the Social Security Administration at Officer of the Inspector General.
  • Notify the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) if you have been a victim of identity theft. Although the FTC lacks the authority to pursue criminal cases, they may refer complaints to the appropriate government agencies for further action. The FTC is also able to provide information that can assist victims with resolving problems caused by identity theft.

The FTC can be reached by phone
Toll Free 877-FTC-HELP (382-4357)
TDD: 202-326-2502

Or by mail
Consumer Response Center
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20580

Or on the internet
Federal Trade Commission Complaint Assistant