Courts' Response to COVID-19 Coronavirus
Courts’ Response to COVID-19 Coronavirus
All Courts (Chesterfield Circuit Court, Chesterfield General District Court, and Chesterfield J&DR District Court) were closed March 16-18, 2020. See information regarding the Declaration of Judicial Emergency ordered by the Supreme Court of Virginia.
Press Releases Regarding Court Operations & Public Services
- Read the Courts’ Joint Press Release (PDF), issued Sunday, March 15, 2020, at 6 p.m.
- Read the Courts’ Joint Press Release (PDF), issued Monday, March 16, 2020 at 5:15 p.m.
- Read the Circuit Court Clerk’s Press Release (PDF), issued Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 5:15 p.m.
- Read the Circuit Court Clerk’s Press Release (PDF), issued Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
- Read the General District Court’s Public Notice (PDF), updated Monday, March 30, 2020.
- Read the Circuit Court Clerk’s Service Delivery Plan (PDF), updated Monday, March 30, 2020.
For the duration of the Governor of Virginia’s declared state of emergency --
All levels of Chesterfield Courts (Chesterfield Circuit Court, Chesterfield General District Court, and Chesterfield Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court) have met to plan for COVID-19. Please be assured that detailed planning is taking place and there will be more to share when and if more significant steps are necessary.
The most important information we can share is that all of us should practice good personal hygiene, including proper hand washing and cough etiquette. Please use good judgment when visiting the courthouses and stay home if you are sick. The Courts are involved in the County’s response to COVID-19 and are following the CDC and Virginia Department of Health for updates.
The Judicial Branch has a Pandemic COOP Plan and the Chesterfield Courts have their own individual plans that will be activated, if necessary. Here is an update that all three Courts would like to share with our stakeholders at this time:
- Online prepayments of traffic cases (where appropriate) and online payments of all fines and costs are strongly encouraged
- Inmates: Where possible, hearings will be held via videoconferencing; out of state witnesses will not be transported. Riverside Regional Jail has temporarily suspended in-person visitation; video visits may be accommodated.
- Please do not visit the courthouses unless you absolutely have to; if you are not necessary to a proceeding or may be able to conduct your business at a later date, please stay home
- Travelers from a Level 2 or 3 Travel Health Notice Country: Notify the Court immediately if you are summoned, via phone or email; your case will be continued. DO NOT COME IN PERSON.
- Illness: If you are sick, notify the Court immediately if you are summoned, via phone or email; your case may be continued. DO NOT COME IN PERSON.
- Attorneys: Attorneys may drop off filings in the Clerk’s Office without being required to wait
- Please read information regarding service delivery during the Judicial Emergency from the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office.
- Credit card convenience fees waived while the State of Emergency is in effect.
- For more information, see the Clerk’s press releases above or Email Circuit Court Clerk
General District Court
- Attorneys are encouraged to file speedy trial waivers on district court felonies for people who are in custody if continuances are required due to the public health emergency
- For more information Email Linda Moore
Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court
- Please read the information regarding service delivery during the Judicial Emergency from the J&DR Clerk’s Office.
- The March 30, 2020 Driver’s License ceremony has been canceled; the Court will provide updates regarding rescheduling on April 6, 2020
- Bon Air JCC has temporarily suspended in-person visitation; visit with residents can occur via phone or video chat
- The Chesterfield Juvenile Detention Home has temporarily suspended in-person visitation; telephone visits with residents may occur and in-person visits with counsel of record may be pre-arranged through Willie May.
- For more information Email Laura Griffin