Eppington In the News
The following are actual 20th Century newspaper references to Eppington:
250th Anniversary Celebration
On Oct. 6, 2018, Chesterfield celebrated the 250th Anniversary of Eppington Plantation. This celebration honored the long history of the beloved Chesterfield landmark and paid homage to the many revered figures that passed through its doors, including Thomas Jefferson and Marquis de Lafayette.
The History of Eppington Plantation
Eppington Plantation was built in 1768 by Francis Eppes VI, brother-in-law to Thomas Jefferson. Eppes and Jefferson also were close friends and, after Jefferson’s wife Martha died in 1782, the newly widowed Jefferson entrusted his two daughters, Maria and Lucy, to the Eppes family while he served as minister to France. Sadly, Lucy died of whooping cough shortly thereafter and was buried on the property. Maria grew to adulthood, married the eldest Eppes son and remained on the property until her death in 1804.
The house itself is a Chesterfield County Historic Landmark, a Virginia Historic Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places. It is an excellent example of 18th century Georgian design and features a three-bay, two-and-a-half story central block design with hipped roof, dormers and flanking one story wings. Eppington is well preserved and still looks much as it did 250 years ago.
Chesterfield County acquired Eppington Plantation when it was deeded as a gift in 1989 by the descendants of the Cherry family, along with 43 acres for historic preservation. In 1997, the Eppington Foundation was established with the mission to preserve, restore and promote the history of Eppington and to educate the public to its historical, cultural, agricultural and architectural significance. The foundation works in a cooperative partnership with Chesterfield County’s Department of Parks and Recreation to manage the site and protect the property. Current land holdings are 376 acres with ongoing efforts to acquire additional parcels of land. The first annual Eppington Heritage Day was held in 1998 and the Eppington Foundation celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2017.
The plantation is registered as a National, Virginia State and Chesterfield County Historic Landmark.
The History of Pleasant View School
Pleasant View School, located at 18430 River Road, was built in 1930 and was designated a Chesterfield County Historic Landmark in April 2017, in recognition of its significance as an authentic representation of early twentieth century education in the county. This one-room schoolhouse served as an elementary school until 1947, and it is Chesterfield’s best remaining example of African-American education in the segregated era.
Publication: Eppington on the Appomattox
Eppington On The Appomattox by Martha W. McCartney describes native peoples and the colonization of Jamestown Island and the Appomattox River Basin. The history of Francis Eppes’ family in Chesterfield County, Virginia contains information drawn from court records, archives and overseas repositories. Documented research on Eppington reveals a well-built gentry home designed in a period of growth and expansion and explores advent scientific farming and economic ventures in mining and railroads. The physical structure of a large working plantation and the relationships of families are described in this narrative in early life of Chesterfield County.
Where to buy:
Parks and Recreation Administration Building
12140 Harrowgate Road
Chester, VA 23831
8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday; Closed on holidays
Cost is $15 or $20 if mailed. Accepted payments are cash and check (made payable to the Eppington Foundation).