Learn Your Landscape
Learn how to maintain and enhance your property with help by Chesterfield Master Gardeners. The program includes a site visit by trained Master Gardener volunteers who will evaluate and answer site specific questions regarding your property, such as:
- What plants will grow well in my area of Chesterfield County?
- What plants are on my property and how do I take care of them?
- How can I create habitat for beneficial wildlife like birds and bees?
Registration for the 2019 season is now open. Registration Form
Also you can call us at 804-751-4401 or email the Cooperative Extension Office. Program cost is $30, which covers the cost of supplies, materials and personalized guide. A limited number of registrations are accepted, so register early if you would like to take part.
Site visits are conducted from April 1st, 2019 through September 30th, 2019. We cannot guarantee the exact time or date when your visit will take place, only that it will be completed by September 30, 2019
Soil sampling will not be included with the visit, but you will be provided with a soil sampling kit that you can submit on your own, see Grass Roots for more information. Trained Master Gardener volunteers will review registration applications and schedule initial site visit.
Initial site visits include:
- Master Gardener volunteers assess your landscape (limited to 1.5 hours)
- Site assessment of landscape - prioritized by preferences listed in application
Final site visits include:
- Take place several weeks after initial site visit
- One-on-one review of recommendations with Master Gardener volunteers (limited to 1 to 1.5 hours)
- You will receive a map of property with current plantings and site conditions noted from initial visit
- You will receive a customized reference binder full of fact sheets on current plantings and general gardening info for our area
This program features an optional wildlife habitat component to the site assessment, in cooperation with the Habitat Partners © Program of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
Watch Lynne Foote - Chesterfield Master Gardener, explain the Learn Your Landscape program in more detail.