Information Required on the Plans
- All plan pages complete, dimensioned, and drawn to scale
- All plan sheets required to construct the footings, foundation walls and slabs. Omit plan sheets for portions of the project that are not part of the footing and foundation portion of the work and identify details not part of the project as not in the scope of work.
- A Virginia Professional seal, signed and dated, for all work when the following occupancy classifications are involved (The Code of Virginia (§54.1-402)):
- Assembly (A)
- Educational (E)
- Institutional (I)
- Hotel/motel (R-1)
- High Hazard (H) when any area of work is involved
- Mercantile (M) and Business (B) uses when the area of work exceeds 5000 square feet
- Storage (S) and Factory/Industrial (F/I) uses when the area of work exceeds 15,000 square feet
- Name, occupation, address and telephone number of the person who prepared the plans. If sheets from multiple designers are incorporated into one set - each designer’s name, occupation, address and telephone number on the pages that they designed
- Dimensioned site layout plan included with each set of plans
- Plumbing, electrical or other trade work plans for any piping, wiring or other systems that will be installed below the slab or in conjunction with the footing and foundation portion of the project; design/build is not allowed. See the separate electrical, mechanical & plumbing checklists.
- If no mechanical, plumbing or electrical work is to be performed in conjunction with the footing and foundation portion of the project, state that clearly on the plans.
- If the permit is for an addition - new and existing construction clearly identified
Building Code Data (Provided on a Building Code Data Plan Sheet as Part of the Footing and Foundation Plans)
- Building code edition - current code edition is 2009 Virginia Construction Code (2009 IBC), (Part I of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code)
- Use and occupancy classification
- If it is a mixed use building - the method of treating mixed uses: non-separated mixed use, separated mixed use (provide ratio sum), separate buildings, or accessory use
- Construction type (VCC Chapter 6)
- Occupant load (VCC Section 1004)
- Whether the building/space is equipped with any fire protection systems (automatic sprinkler system, fire alarm system, etc.)
- Method of compliance with height and area limitations, including calculations supporting height and/or area increases height and area limitations (VCC Chapter 5)
- On the structural plans submitted with the footing and foundation permit plans - all of the loads, factors and coefficients listed in section 1603 Construction Documents, of the VCC
- Design soil-bearing capacity
- Design loads
- Wind load design data
- Earthquake design data
For more details, see the separate Structural Checklist for New Construction and Additions page.