Get A Healthier Lawn With Grass Roots
Please Do Not Approach Onsite MGVs!
With the safety of our volunteers and you as our clients in mind, 2021 Grass Roots will follow a zero-contact policy. For the safety of our Master Gardener Volunteers (MGVs), you must stay distant when MGVs are measuring your yard and collecting soil samples. For your safety and the safety of our MGVs, do not approach them. MGVs have been instructed to leave a property immediately if they are approached by homeowners or loose pets. We reserve the right to forego soil sampling and evaluating properties if pets have not been removed from the sampling area during the stated evaluation timeframe.
We understand that you may have questions about the program or your lawn. Please call the Extension Office at 804-751-4401 or email at email@example.com with any questions or concerns – do not approach the MGVs.
About the Program
Are you frustrated with the condition of your lawn? Tired of throwing away money on seed and fertilizer, only to see no improvements? Get to the root of the problem through the Grass Roots Program! Grass Roots offers residents the opportunity to learn about and remedy specific problems contributing to your lawn’s current condition. The program includes:
- A site visit by a Master Gardener who measures your lawn area and takes soil sample(s).
- A detailed site evaluation of lawn, including soil compaction and weed cover.
- Some personalized recommendations tailored to your lawn’s needs.
Registrants receive the following:
- Personalized lawn care report - and recommendations to help you get started
- Publications on lawn care in our area are referenced throughout the report
- Seasonal newsletter with tips and information on upcoming lawn care seminars
Registration has closed for 2021. We will reopen registration for 2022 in the spring.
In the past 16 years, Grass Roots has done the following:
- Helped more than 6,000 residents adopt lawn care practices
- Helped protect the watershed from excess fertilizers and pesticides
- Provided them with healthier turf
Surveys show that past participants are very happy with the information they received and the results they are seeing in their lawns.
Interested in learning more:
- Watch the video of Bill Bishop, Chesterfield Master Gardener, explain the Grass Roots Program in more detail.
- Visit the Virginia Cooperative Extension - How-to Lawn Care Tips Website.
- Visit the Virginia Cooperative Extension - Lawn Care Publications Website.