Animal Services Unit
The Chesterfield Animal Shelter is open by appointments only.
The office staff is available by phone:
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Please call 804-748-1683 to set an appointment for any of our available pets or for any questions that you may have.
To view available pets at the Chesterfield Animal Shelter, please visit our page on Pet Finder.
To serve, protect and promote safety through the education of our community regarding responsible pet ownership and the enforcement of violations of law pertaining to animal welfare.
- Protect public health and safety
- Prevent animal cruelty and neglect
- Reunite lost pets with their owner
- Enforce animal-related laws and ordinances
- Educate the community on responsible pet ownership
- Provide compassion and comfort for animals in our care
- Encourage community involvement through events and outreach
- Build partnerships
- Expand and develop personnel
- Be transparent
- Increase educational efforts
- Increase live exit rate
- Reduce euthanasia
- Share our story
- How do I adopt an animal?
- Do I need a dog license?
- What will I need to purchase a dog license?
- How much does a dog license cost, and when is it due?
- Where do I get a dog license?
- How do I report a lost pet?
- How do I report a found pet?
- How do I report animal cruelty or neglect?
- How many dogs can you have in Chesterfield?
- What is Chesterfield County’s leash law?