Residential Electrical Permit
You need an electrical permit when:
- Providing new electrical service or wiring.
- Upgrading electrical service.
- Adding a permanent generator back-up to an existing electrical panel, service equipment and similar devices.
- Installing or replacing any electrical wiring, panel board, service equipment or disconnecting means.
- Any wiring that penetrates a fire-rated assembly and/or is installed in a plenum.
|Project Type||"X" = Required Inspection|
Electrical Slab 1
Release Service Change 4
Release Service New
Pool Potting 3
Pool Bonding 3
Pool Underground 3
|Adding lights, switches or receptacles||X||X|
|Installing or adding yard lights||X||X||X|
|Installing a generator||X||X||X|
|Installing a whirlpool or spa||X||X|
|Installing an above-ground pool||X||X||X||X|
|Installing an in-ground pool||X||X||X||X||X|
|Upgrading service or replacing a panel||X||X|
|Installing wiring for an addition||X||X|
|Installing wiring for a new house||X||X||X|
|Installing wiring for a shed or carport||X||X||X|
|Installing a new heat pump||X||X|
|Installing wiring for a solar panel||X||X|
|Installing wiring for a windmill||X||X|
|Adding for appliances or equipment||X||X|
|Wiring for a storable pool||X|
|New service for a detached structure||X||X||X|
1 An electrical slab inspection is required when any wiring is installed below a concrete slab.
2 A trench inspection is required when wiring is installed below the surface of the ground.
3 Pool potting, bonding and underground inspections are very important to prevent electrical shock.
4 A change of service will not be needed if the service equipment is not modified.
Before scheduling your inspection:
- A not ready fee may be charged if the work to be inspected is not complete when the inspector arrives.
- A re-inspection fee may be charged for third and subsequent inspections of the same type.
When to Schedule an Inspection
- Electrical Slab - After the conduit is placed and before the excavated area is backfilled
- Final Electrical - After all the fixtures and permanent equipment are installed and operational
- Release of Service - After the service equipment is installed and wired to the point that the neutrals are properly placed
- Rough-in Electrical - After all wiring and cable assemblies are installed and prior to the installation of building insulation and wallboard
- Trench - After the in-ground wiring is installed and prior to backfilling