4-H camp provides youth countless opportunities for learning more about themselves, their peers and the natural world around them. Our main focus during camp is to help youth develop independence, self-esteem, confidence, interpersonal skills and other life skills.
Teen Counselor Applications
Teen counselors are selected each fall to train and prepare for the summer Chesterfield 4-H Camp program, held at the Jamestown 4-H Center. Applicants must be at least 14 years of age (on or before Jan. 1 for the year of the upcoming camp) and no older than 18 years of age (by Sept. 30 for the year of the upcoming camp). Strong applicants will have leadership skills, enjoy working with youth, and preferably have previous experiences working at a youth camp or as a teen leader for another youth program.
The process is competitive and only select applicants will proceed to the interview portion. Final selections will be made and monthly training requirements must be met by each candidate for the counselor positions in order to attend 4-H Camp.
For the application or more details, contact Bethany Eigel.
Overnight Summer Camp
2023 Chesterfield 4-H Camp will be held Monday, June 12 - Friday, June 16.
Registration for 2023 camps will open online Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023 (this is due to the observed holiday on Monday, Jan. 2, 2023.)
A camper is any youth that is 9-13 years old. To qualify, the youth must turn at least age 9 and may not be older than age 13 as of Sept. 30, 2023.
Counselor-in-Training (CIT) age is 13 (specifically, must turn 13 on or before Jan. 1, 2023) and only for youth interested in applying for future teen counselor positions. CIT’s receive leadership training while at 4-H camp.
- Youth that turn 13 after Jan. 1, 2023, must attend camp as a camper as they do not meet the age requirement for CIT this year.
- If interest in CIT registration, please make sure to use that specific registration link.
- Each youth may only sign up as a camper or CIT, not both. Registering a single individual for both cancels that youth’s registration altogether.
Teen Camp Counselors
Teen Camp Counselor age is 14-18 (specifically, age 14 on or before Jan. 1, 2023, and no older than age 18 prior to Sept. 30, 2023).
- These positions follow a competitive, selective process.
- Teens interested in this opportunity for the future (2023 and on) should contact Bethany Eigel.
- For the 2023 camp, if a teen turned age 14 on or before Jan. 1, 2023, they are not eligible for enrollment, neither as a camper or CIT. These teens must apply in advance for a teen camp counselor position. Applications are available each fall around the start of the school year.
Transportation to and from camp is not provided. Parents must drop off and pick up their child from the Jamestown 4-H Center.
The fee for camp will be announced with registration. Included in this price is:
- Cabin/lodge picture
- A week of great fun and memories!
If you or someone you know is interested in camp, but in need of financial assistance, contact our office no later than close of business (4:30 p.m.) Friday, March 3, 2023, to request a scholarship application. Funds are limited and will be awarded based on a set of criteria met by the applicant.
Cancellation and Refunds
If you decide to cancel, you must do so in writing (email) by Friday, May 12, 2023, and allow up to eight weeks to process the refund (minus a $50 processing fee). If you cancel past the May 12, 2023, deadline there is no refund. Email Jennifer Coates or call 804-751-4429 to request a form.
If the camp is canceled by Chesterfield Cooperative Extension, or by the state or federal government, fees will be refunded in full.
Summer Day Camps
Chesterfield Extension, including 4-H, is a division under the Parks and Recreation department and there are some great opportunities for summer 2022.
View the Parks and Recreation program guide to learn more details about each option.