Are you currently out of work, considering a change of career, returning back to work and have questions or need assistance with your job search, resume or interviewing? We’ve got you covered! Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services offers various employment services and programs free of charge to all residents (18+) of Chesterfield County and the City of Colonial Heights.
Services offered include:
- Resume assistance
- Interview preparation
- Online applications assistance
- Career assessment
- Employment services plans
- Job coaching and ongoing support
- Job search assistance
- Soft skills training
- Referrals to community resources
- And much more!
Virginia Initiative for Education and Work (VIEW)
VIEW is the two year employment services program designed for individuals who are currently receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Family (TANF). The goal is to provide assistance with transitioning from welfare to self-sufficiency. VIEW Family Services Specialists provide case management, crises intervention and supportive services such as childcare and transportation. If you feel that you qualify for the VIEW program, you can apply and check your eligibility for TANF.
First Choice Community Employment Center (FCCEC)
The FCCEC was launched in the Fall of 2015 and is available for all residents (18+) of Chesterfield County or the City of Colonial Heights regardless if they are receiving benefits or not. Individual case management is provided. Other services include:
- Job Leads Distribution List: Current employment opportunities, education resources and job fair information are emailed directly to job seekers several times throughout the week.
- Bi-Annual Job Fairs: The FCCEC hosts Career & Education fairs held in the Spring and Fall of each year.
- IMPORTANT UPDATE: The 4th Annual Spring Career & Resource Fair scheduled for Thursday, April 16, 2020 from 10:30 am - 2:00 pm at Richmond Volleyball Club-Stonebridge has been postponed until Thursday, October 22, 2020. Additional details for this event will be provided at a later time.
- Meet the Employer Events: Periodically scheduled each month, this is an opportunity for job seekers to meet with an employer onsite and discuss their current opportunities as well as interview.
SNAP Employment & Training Program (SNAP E&T)
SNAP E&T is an employment and training assistance program designed to help non-exempt SNAP participants gain skills, training or work experience that leads to sufficiency. All eligible participants must be engaged in work related activities for 20 hours or more per week to continue receiving SNAP benefits.
You are considered exempt from SNAP E&T if you are:
- Under 18 or over 50
- Living in the same household as someone who is under 18
- Physically or mentally unable to work
- Currently enrolled at least part-time in school (college/university)
- Receiving Virginia unemployment benefits
- Enrolled in the VIEW Program
To learn more about the Employment Services Programs, contact Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services at 804-768-7334 or send us an email.