About the Zoning Application Process
The zoning application process is designed to help prepare zoning amendment applications for public hearing by the Planning Commission and the Board of Supervisors by allowing the application to be reviewed and modified prior to scheduling a public hearing. The process is as follows:
- The application will be accepted, in the Planning Department along with all required information and fee, after the pre-application meeting.
- Within two weeks, the application will be reviewed by county staff internally at the Technical Review Committee (TRC). The results of this meeting will be communicated to the applicant. Note: The purpose of this meeting is for all county departments to review the application and its contents and to discuss the merits of the application.
- Following the TRC meeting, staff may ask the applicant for additional information to enhance the components of the application.
- After the application has been deemed complete, and depending on the potential impacts of the application, a community meeting may be scheduled by the applicant.
Note: Community stakeholders are encouraged to attend the community meeting to provide input regarding the application.
- Following the community meeting the applicant is encouraged to address community concerns before preparing the application for public hearing.
- After addressing the concerns from the community meeting, the application may be scheduled for a public hearing with the Chesterfield County Planning Commission. Note: Public input is again encouraged.
- Following the Planning Commission meeting, the application will be presented to the Board of Supervisors for a final decision. Note: Public input is again encouraged.
The final decision is made by the Board of Supervisors.