Safe Medication Disposal
Don’t Be an Accidental Drug Dealer!
Medication abuse is a national epidemic. In fact, 61% of people aged 12 and older who misuse prescription pain relievers get them from a friend or family member. Each year, more than 70,000 children under the age of 18 go to the emergency room because of unintentional medication overdoses. Mental Health Support Services is promoting the proper disposal of expired or unused prescription and over-the-counter medications through its Don’t Be an Accidental Drug Dealer campaign. As part of the campaign, free medication disposal pouches are available for pick up at various locations throughout the county.
Dispose of Medications Properly
Remember that drugs poured down the drain or flushed down the toilet can create environmental concerns. Those unable to obtain medication disposal kits or visit a safe medication disposal kiosk should check with their local police departments to see when medication take-back events are scheduled.
Medication Disposal Pouches
Residents in Chesterfield County who wish to dispose of unwanted medications may do so by using a free drug-deactivation pouch available on a first-come, first-served basis at the following locations while supplies last:
- Chesterfield County Public Library locations:
- Bon Air Library: 9103 Rattlesnake Road
- Central Library: 7051 Lucy Corr Blvd.
- Chester Library: 11800 Centre St.
- Clover Hill Library: 6701 Deer Run Drive
- Enon Library: 1801 Enon Church Road
- Ettrick-Matoaca Library: 4501 River Road
- LaPrade Library: 9000 Hull Street Road
- Meadowdale Library: 4301 Meadowdale Blvd.
- Midlothian Library: 521 Coalfield Road
- North Courthouse Road Library: 325 Courthouse Road
Safe Medication Disposal Kiosks
Safe medication disposal kiosks give residents a safe and environmentally responsible way to dispose of unwanted, unused or expired prescription and over-the-counter medications. Needles, syringes and other “sharps” will not be accepted.
Find a medication disposal kiosk near you:
Chesterfield County Police Headquarters
1001 Iron Bridge Road
Chesterfield, VA 23238