Grant Funding Criteria
- Demonstration of Need
- Broad National Objectives
- Priority Proposals
- Plan Compliance
- Ineligible CDBG Activities
Demonstration of Need
All proposals must include documented information that supports the ill or condition that exists and which the proposal addresses. Proposals must demonstrate a need for the proposed project using available data. All sources of data must be provided in the proposal. Data submitted in response to this requirement will be verified using sources provided in the proposal. Proposals that do not meet this requirement will not be considered.
Only those projects addressing one of the federal government’s Broad National Objectives and at least one of the priorities identified in the Chesterfield County Five-Year Consolidated Plan will be considered for CDBG or HOME funding.
Broad National Objectives
- Elimination of Slums and Blight
- Benefit Low and Moderate Income Persons
- Address an Urgent Need (Urgent Need as defined by HUD is to address the aftermath of events such as a hurricane, tornado, flood, earthquake, etc.).
Chesterfield County Consolidated Plan Priorities
- Enhance community attractiveness by reducing and preventing blight
- Improve infrastructure and public facilities
- Support programs that enrich lives
- Safe, decent, affordable housing
This FY2020 RFP process will place high priority on applications with projects or programs serving the following target area.
If serving the target area, please provide further information regarding a marketing strategy about how you will reach out to populations within the target area, which includes the following block groups:
|100300||1||510411003001||Block Group 1|
|100300||2||510411003002||Block Group 2|
|100404||1||510411004041||Block Group 1|
|100405||1||510411004051||Block Group 1|
|100405||2||510411004052||Block Group 2|
|100406||1||510411004061||Block Group 1|
|100407||1||510411004071||Block Group 1|
|100407||2||510411004072||Block Group 2|
|100407||3||510411004073||Block Group 3|
|100804||1||510411008041||Block Group 1|
|100805||3||510411008053||Block Group 3|
|100806||1||510411008061||Block Group 1|
|100806||2||510411008062||Block Group 2|
Priority will also be placed on the following types of projects:
Public Infrastructure Improvement
Proposals that include new or replacing/repairing deteriorating public infrastructure the CDBG-eligible target area
Housing Rehabilitation Projects
Proposals that include assisting existing homeowners in the repair or rehabilitation of owner-occupied housing units (subject to HOME funding authorization)
Compliance with the Chesterfield County Strategic Plan & Comprehensive Plan
Additional compliance beginning with the FY2015 process is a direct link to the County’s strategic plan and adopted comprehensive plan. Applications will need to list the strategic plan objective that the request for funding supports.
Projects requiring involvement of Chesterfield County department(s) must include a signed letter of approval from the director of the respective department(s).
- Proposals requesting funds for neighborhood sidewalks must be approved by the County’s Director of Transportation because the Transportation department is responsible for such projects.
- Correction of a drainage problem in a neighborhood must be approved by the County’s Director of Environmental Engineering because the Environmental Engineering department is responsible for all county drainage activities.
Letters from non-supportive departments may result in rejection of the proposal.
Ineligible CDBG activities
The general rule is that any project not specifically identified as eligible is considered ineligible. Listed below are specific ineligible activities:
- New housing construction (only eligible under HOME program)
- Building used predominantly for the general conduct of government (except for removal of architectural barriers) and other general government expenses.
- Political activities.
- Purchase of furnishings, motor vehicles and equipment.
- Operating and maintenance expenses, including repair of public facilities and improvements.
- Income payments.
- Improvement to buildings used for religious activities.