Preparing Commercial Construction Documents

  1. Application Requirements
  2. Document Requirements
  3. Project Checklists
  4. Applications & Forms
  5. Package Submittal
  6. Plan Review
  7. Permit Issuance

Commercial Building Permit Applicants

The following people can apply for commercial building permits:

  • Property owner
  • Licensed contractor
  • Tenant of the building or unit where the proposed work will take place
  • Owner’s agent with written permission from the owner
  • Contractors:  Contractors who have never performed work before in Chesterfield County must submit a Client Registration Form, at which time a Customer Pin will be created for use in future applications and inspection scheduling.  The contractor must have a valid business license from a Virginia locality for jobs valued at $25,000 or less.  For jobs valued at more than $25,000, the contractor must have a valid Chesterfield County Business License.

The commercial permit application package must include the permit application, associated forms and plans, and the permit fee.  If you submit the application without an assigned contractor (“To Be Decided” on the application), the permit will only issue after a contractor is assigned.

Permit Requirements

Several types of permits that may be necessary for a commercial project, depending on the scope of work. The following projects require a permit:

Building Permits

For construction of a New Structure

  • Demolition of a structure, including the removal of any wall, partition, or structural component
  • Reconstruction, alteration, or replacement including:
  • The addition of any wall, partition, or structural component
  • Reconstruction of decks, balconies, porches and similar structures
  • Any required fire or smoke-resistance rated assembly
  • Modification to means of egress
  • Removal or disturbance of asbestos containing materials
  • Replacement of roofing and siding
  • Change of occupancy, requiring a new Certificate of Occupancy (CO) prior to the use of the structure.  A CO is required when the USBC requires a greater degree of structural strength, fire protection, means of egress, ventilation or sanitation. Typical examples: new restaurant (A-2) locating in an existing mercantile shopping center (M); business (B) operating from an existing residence (R).
  • Tents or air-supported structures greater than 900 square feet or with more than 50 occupants
  • Modifications to the Exterior Accessible Route: Modifications to an exterior accessible route i.e.: accessible parking and sidewalks leading to an accessible building/site
  • Converting a single-family dwelling into a business office.  A permit is required even if no alterations are proposed

Trade Permits

For Installations or alterations involving:

  • The water supply and distribution system, sanitary drainage or vent system
  • Electric wiring greater than 50 volts, or less than 50 volts where wiring penetrates a fire rated or smoke protected assembly, is located in a plenum or is associated with an elevator fire safety control system, egress control system or fire protective system
  • The fire protection system, mechanical systems or fuel supply systems
  • Equipment regulated by the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code
  • Replacement of above-ground existing LP-gas containers when any of the following occur:
  • Tank capacity changes
  • Tank location changes
  • Tank regulator changes

Other Permits

  • Elevators/conveyance equipment installation – Elevator/conveyance equipment permit
  • Temporary and permanent signs – Sign permit
  • Amusement devices – Amusement Device permit

Policies for Registered Design Professionals (RDP)