- Community Development
- Building Inspection
- Residential Construction
- Submitting the Application
Submitting the Application
Ways to Submit a Residential Permit Application:
- Online: Chesterfield Community Development ELM Portal
- Deliver to our Office: Residential permit applications, plans and associated forms are accepted from 8:30 am - 5 pm at the offices of the Chesterfield County Department of Building Inspection, 9800 Government Center Parkway), Chesterfield, Virginia, except on scheduled holidays
- Mail residential and commercial permit applications, plans and associated forms, with a check, to Chesterfield County Department of Building Inspection, P.O. Box 40, Chesterfield, Virginia 23832-0040.
Permit Expiration: Permits are valid for six (6) months from the date of last activity, which includes completed inspections, amendments, and the issuance of associated permits.
- If your permit is about to expire and you will be completing the work, contact the office to extend the permit. If the permit does expire, an administrative fee is assessed to reinstate the permit. If you are not going to complete the work, contact the office to void the permit.
- If a permit was issued and work was performed, expiration of the permit without completing the required inspections is a violation of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
Revisions to Issued Permits: The process is the same as that outlined above for revisions submitted prior to permit issuance, with the following additional stipulations:
- If the revised building design changes the cost of construction, the permit fee may need to be adjusted. The permit holder must indicate the additional cost of construction, if any.
- Revisions to issued permits are placed into “In Review” status. Inspections may continue to be performed by contacting the building inspector directly. The automated inspection scheduling system cannot be used when permits are in the “In Review” status.
- Upon approval of the revision, the permit applicant will be contacted to pick up the plans. A complete set of documents, including all approved revisions, must be maintained in the field.
Refunds: Refunds are granted if requested in writing, provided no inspections have been performed. The refund amount will be the permit fee paid, minus 25% of the permit fee or $119.00, whichever is greater. If the permit fee paid was less than the minimum of $119, a refund will not be granted.