Required Residential Permits & Inspections

The type of permit application you submit depends on the scope of your project. Whenever you construct, reconstruct, enlarge, alter, or demolish a structure, a permit is required before starting the work. If you are doing any emergency repairs or equipment replacement, please obtain a permit the next working day following the emergency.

Be aware that the specific circumstances of a project may require that other inspections be performed. By reading the chart and applying the information contained in the footnotes to your project, you will have greater success during the inspection process. If you have further questions, call the office at 804-748-1057 or ask your inspector.