Release to Construction

Prior to releasing a project to the Utilities Department's Construction Section, all water and / or wastewater easements, outside the boundaries of the new subdivision and / or within a complex not recorded by a subdivision plat, must be dedicated to the county.

Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Contract

The developer's contractor should complete a VDOT application for permission to install the proposed water and / or wastewater lines within state rights of way. A separate highway permit is required for each utility line. The engineer shall be responsible for furnishing the necessary extra plans and having the developer / owner or authorized agent pay the appropriate permit fee.

County & Developer Contract

The developer / owner must enter into a county / developer contract. A copy of the utility contractor's accepted bid proposal for the construction of the proposed utility system and a completed copy of "Information Required for Contract" form must be submitted to the Development Section of Chesterfield Utilities so that the county/developer contract can be prepared. The unit price bid proposals shall be based on the approved water and / or wastewater plans and all work must be performed by an acceptable Class "A" license and county approved utilities contractor who specializes in the installation of public water and / or wastewater lines.

Contract Refunds

Where the developer / owner may be eligible to receive county refunds, the developer / owner must comply in strict accordance with the current county policies and Chesterfield County Ordinance. The Board of Supervisors must approve the contracts where refunds are involved, prior to the contractor beginning construction. The developer / owner needs to allow sufficient time (2 to 4 weeks) for the contracts with refunds to be approved by the Board of Supervisors.

Road Grade Letter

Prior to water construction, the engineer must submit to the Chesterfield County Utilities construction staff a road grade letter which will verify that the entire proposed road rights of way where the water lines are to be installed have been graded to within six inches of final subgrade or in the case where the roads are not defined, the contractor must provide cut sheets to the inspector. Evidence that the contractor has obtained the necessary highway permits must be given to the construction inspector.

Proper Notice & Pre-Construction Meeting

Upon meeting all the above criteria, the contractor must give the Chesterfield Utilities Construction Section at least 48 hours notice before construction may begin. At such time, a pre-construction meeting is required and shall be arranged by the contractor and the Construction Section. Notification shall be given to the Engineering Supervisor at 804-796-7125 or the Construction Inspection Supervisor at 804-751-4651.

Additional Information From Utilities Development

The following information is available by contacting the Chesterfield County Utilities Development Section at 804-748-1869:

  • Chesterfield County Utilities Ordinance
  • Chesterfield County Water and Sewer Specifications and Procedures Manual

Additional Information from Planning Department

The following information is available by contacting the Chesterfield County Planning Department at 804-748-1050:

  • Chesterfield County Erosion Control Ordinance
  • Chesterfield County Subdivision Ordinance
  • Chesterfield County Zoning Ordinance
  • Participate in the Site Plan Process
  • Obtain Erosion Control Approval
  • Obtain Road Plan Approval
  • Obtain Subdivision Approval
  • Request a Rezoning or Conditional Use