- County Administration
- Internal Audit
- Reporting Fraud, Waste & Abuse
Reporting Fraud, Waste & Abuse
What is Fraud, Waste and Abuse?
Per County Administrative Policy 8-2 Fraud, Waste and Abuse are defined as follows:
- Fraud: Intentional deception that could result in a tangible or intangible benefit or cause detriment.
- Waste: Intentional or unintentional, thoughtless or careless expenditure, consumption, mismanagement, use or squandering of resources.
- Abuse: Excessive or improper use contrary to the natural or legal rules.
Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline - Call: 804-318-8000
Our objective is to provide county/school employees and the general public a confidential means for reporting suspected wrongdoing involving fraud, waste and abuse of county and school assets or resources. Callers remain anonymous.
Violations include, but are not limited to:
- Falsification of records
- Serious abuse of time or excessive use of time
- Theft of funds
Additional Fraud Hotlines
Reporting Topic Responsible Area Contact Information
|Social Security Benefits Fraud (i.e. food stamp fraud)||Social Services||804-748-1100|
|Adult Abuse and Neglect||Social Services, Adult Protective Services|
804-748-1100 (M-F, select option 5 for Adult Protective Services)888-832-3858 (After hours, weekends, holidays) 24-Hour Automated Line
|Child Abuse and Neglect||Social Services, Child Protective Services|
800-552-7096 (within Virginia)804-786-8536 (Out-of-State)
24-Hour Automated Hotline
|Personal Fraud (i.e. identity theft)|
Police, Reporting Crime Online
24-Hour Non-Emergency: 804-748-1251
Online Crime Report
|Anonymous Crime Tips||Crime Solvers||804-748-0660|
|Questions about Business Licenses||Business Licensing||804-748-1229 or 804-748-1453|
|Equal Employment Opportunity Complaints, Sexual Harassment, or Other Personal Policy Violations||County and School Employees||County: 804-751-1551|
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Fraud Reporting Methods
Fraud, waste and abuse complaints can be submitted one of six ways:
- Online: Complete and submit the Online Form.
- Email Us
- In Person
- By Phone at 804-318-8000: The Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline may be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Voicemail will be activated on holidays, weekends and when staff is unavailable to answer the calls. Callers may remain anonymous. Caller ID and call back features have been disabled to maintain confidentiality.
- By Fax at 804-768-9346: Complete and print our Reporting Form (PDF). Sending personal information by fax and email is not a confidential or secure means of transmission. It is recommended you return your request by regular mail.
- By Mail: Complete and print our Reporting Form (PDF). Submit to:
P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832
If you want to remain anonymous, please call the confidential/anonymous hotline at 804-318-8000 two weeks after the initial report to enable us to gather more facts. You may refer to the date of your original report to preserve your anonymity.
If you are unsure how to proceed with a concern, you may contact Internal Audit at 804-748-1240 for guidance prior to completing the Fraud, Waste and Abuse Reporting Form.